University of Wisconsin Oshkosh alumnus Jamal Scott ’97, of Tinley Park, Ill., is on the higher-education fast track.
Shortly after earning a doctorate in organizational leadership from the Illinois School of Professional Psychology, Scott became president of DeVry University’s Tinley Park Campus and Centers in November 2009.
Scott, who majored in speech communication at UWO, has more than 12 years of experience in higher education, with specialties in admissions/recruitment, financial/operations management and student support. He will be one of four alumni honored with an Outstanding Young Alumni Award at a dinner Friday, Oct. 22, as part of UW Oshkosh Homecoming 2010.
In his own words …
UWO activities / awards:
Black Student Union, UW Oshkosh PreCollege Program, Top Novice Debater — 1996-1997
I am most proud of being a good father to my son. Also, I am very proud to be the president of DeVry University in Tinley Park.
Bowling, video games, exercise/weightlifting, various sports, basketball, softball, etc.
Favorite UWO memory:
My favorite UWO memory centers on the dances that they used to have in Reeve Union. They would always be on Friday nights, and we used to have so much fun.
What does your UWO education mean to you?
It was an amazing ride for me. Oshkosh is an incredible college town and is very conducive to strong educational achievement. The people are tremendous, and the town is very supportive of the institution.
What advice would you give today’s UWO students?
Stay enrolled and remain focused on your goal. I always tell students that once they finish their education, they need to be focused on their career. Begin networking now and aggressively attack career opportunities. While it may be difficult, try to find something that you love to do and stick with it. The more you build on your experience, the faster you can ascend professionally.
Learn more about Homecoming 2010.
- Alumni Pride: Hicks-Sorensen boosts the economy (9/16/10)
- Alumni Pride: LaVicka becomes federal judge (9/2/10)
- Alumni Pride: Hobson climbs back from adversity (8/19/10)
- Alumni Pride: Jolitz serves as top Army nurse (8/3/10)
- Alumni Pride: Oleson works ‘for the children’ (7/22/10)
- Alumni Pride: Kelly champions multicultural marketing (7/6/10)
- Alumni Pride: Feld named top Milwaukee leader (6/24/10)
- Alumni Pride: Marks’ passion is helping people (6/10/10)
- Alumni award recipients announced for 2010 (6/3/10)