For the third year, the Oshkosh Community Dragon Boat Race and Festival will draw the community together with friendly competition. Registration is open for this year’s event, slated for 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Sept. 20 at Leach Ampthitheater & Riverside Park.
The event is designed to celebrate education, community, family, culture and the waterways of Oshkosh. Races will be held along the Fox River with the Leach amphitheater serving as the “Athlete’s Village” where teams can relax between races. There will also be a variety of activities, entertainment and concessions offered within the Athlete’s Village. As part of the UW Oshkosh Fall Fest celebration, and in partnership with the YMCA and the Grand, the Festival also seeks to:
- Support the educational activities of the University and its partners;
- Provide a fun activity for people of all ages;
- Enhance the appreciation of Oshkosh’s waterways;
- Develop an Oshkosh tradition;
- Build on the partnerships between the campus and the community;
- Provide opportunities for organizations and businesses to become involved; and
- Increase business and energy in the downtown area.
To be a sponsor or to register a team, visit http://www.oshkoshdragonboat.com or e-mail email@example.com.
Dragon Boat racing is the fastest growing water sport in the world today with more than 2,000,000 people world-wide participating. Community groups, financial institutions, healthcare organizations, service clubs, non-profit groups and corporations of all sizes participate. Last year’s Oshkosh Dragonboat Race and Festival boasted 45 teams, many of which were comprised of University students, faculty, staff and administration.
The Dragon Boat activities are just one facet of UW Oshkosh’s eighth-annual Fall Fest on the Fox, which typically includes a fish fry and breakfast with the chancellor. Fall Fest on the Fox was founded in order to build bridges between the public and the campus community.