On six select nights in July and August, the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh’s new “river-front door” and “town hall” will host everything from jazz trios to kayak and paddleboard demos.
It’s all part of Oshkosh’s “Thursdays Between the Bridges” events. The UW Oshkosh Alumni Welcome and Conference Center (AWCC) is joining riverfront restaurants to draw area residents to the Fox River to enjoy a free, one-of-a-kind lineup of music and family-friendly events and activities, all connected by the city of Oshkosh’s riverwalk.
From 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on July 3, July 10, July 31, Aug. 7, Aug. 14 and Aug. 28, Between the Bridges will feature a live band on a paddlewheel boat, making a few stops on the span of the Fox River between the Congress Avenue and Main Street bridges. The AWCC is one of the select stops.
In addition to featuring the floating musical acts, AWCC Director Laura Rommelfanger said UW Oshkosh’s new riverfront jewel will host a slew of family-friendly entertainment and activities on the its riverfront-facing patio, featuring an outdoor fireplace.
“We are incredibly excited to host Between the Bridges events in partnership with our riverfront neighbors and the Oshkosh Convention and Visitors Bureau,” Rommelfanger said. “Our six-night lineup starting July 3 gives us an opportunity to showcase some of UW Oshkosh’s talented student and faculty musicians and gives families access and opportunity to enjoy the AWCC, a fun, diverse list of hands-on children’s activities, patio music, the city riverwalk, the amazing ‘bands on a boat’ and a new Fox River view we are proud to share with our community.”
The AWCC will stage its UW Oshkosh jazz, strings, brass and steel drum groups around the fireplace on its patio. The Center is also partnering with the UW Oshkosh Student Recreation and Wellness Center to offer kayaking, paddleboarding and rock climbing on select Thursdays (some age and size restrictions will apply). The AWCC will offer a non-alcoholic hydration station and snacks most nights.
Here’s a detailed look at the developing line Thursdays Between the Bridges line-up at the AWCC:
- July 3: Fourth of July themed entertainment, featuring the UW Oshkosh Jazz Trio. Children will be invited to participate in a “make-a-flag” activity, face painting and yard games such as bean bag toss and ladder ball.
- July 10th: The Oshkosh Rhythm Institute Drum Circle. Children will be invited to make a percussion instrument. The evening will also feature face painting, yard games, kayak and paddleboard demonstrations on the river.
- July 31: “Art Night” and a University music group. Children can enjoy arts and crafts activities, yard games, kayak and paddleboard demonstrations on the river.
- August 7: “Carnival,” featuring a jazz trio, carnival snacks and games and kayak and paddleboard demonstrations on the river.
- August 14th: Featuring one of our UW Oshkosh string or brass musical groups and “Minute to Win It” games along with yard games, kayak and paddleboard demonstrations.
- August 28: UW Oshkosh’s “Titan Steel” steel drum band and open rock climbing on the rock-climbing wall inside the UW Oshkosh Recreation and Wellness Center, next door to the AWCC.