Nine University of Wisconsin Oshkosh alumni from across the nation will be honored for their professional and civic achievements by the UW Oshkosh Alumni Association, during a Oct. 16 dinner as part of the university’s 2009 Homecoming celebration.
The dinner, which costs $25 per person, is open to the public. Call (920) 424-3449 for reservations.
“By presenting these prestigious awards, the Alumni Association has the opportunity to showcase UW Oshkosh’s exceptional graduates who instill pride in our alma mater and inspire our current students to succeed,” said Board President Traci Raether, ’87 and MSN ’95.
The Distinguished Alumni Award – the highest UW Oshkosh alumni honor — will be presented to Clifford Christl ’70, of Green Bay; Joseph McGrath ’78, of Waupaca; Joye Moon ’84, of Oshkosh; Edward Mueller ’59, of Neenah; Dr. Timothy Ward ’70, of Washington, D.C.; and William Weber ’71, of Richland, Wash.
Jessica King ’98, of Oshkosh; Howard Spearman ’98 and MSE ’03, of Milwaukee; and V.J. “Brad” Zibung ’99, of Chicago, will receive the Outstanding Young Alumni Award, which is given to alumni who have graduated within the last 15 years. Selection is based on professional and civic accomplishments and future promise.
“This year’s winners represent the great breadth and depth of our successful alumni across all academic fields. They show us what’s possible. UW Oshkosh graduates are making a difference,” Raether said.
The accomplishments of the 2009 Distinguished Alumni Award winners include:
- Christl, who graduated from UW Oshkosh with a bachelor’s degree in political science, is a retired, award-winning sportswriter who has been called a “walking encyclopedia of Wisconsin sports.” He also is coauthor of “The 25 Greatest Moments at Lambeau Field.”
- McGrath earned a bachelor’s degree in geology from UW Oshkosh and an MBA in military management from Touro University in 2005. He has had extensive civilian and military careers, including achieving the rank of lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army.
- A nationally recognized watercolor artist, instructor and exhibit judge, Moon recently added author to her list of accomplishments with the release of her first book, “Exploring Textures in Watercolor.” She earned a bachelor’s degree in fine art from UW Oshkosh in 1984.
- Since his graduation from UW Oshkosh with a bachelor’s degree in education, Mueller has had an award-winning career as a math and science teacher. He is the only teacher to ever have been selected twice as the Wisconsin Teacher of the Year (1967 and 1984).
- Ward, who received a bachelor’s degree in psychology from UW Oshkosh, currently serves as the assistant undersecretary for health for dentistry with the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.
- With a bachelor’s degree in physics from UW Oshkosh, and a master’s degree and doctorate in nuclear engineering from UW-Madison, Weber has become an internationally recognized authority in the area of defects and radiation effects in ceramics.
The achievements of the 2009 Outstanding Young Alumni Award winners include:
- Since earning a bachelor’s degree in history and international studies from UW Oshkosh and a law degree from Thomas Jefferson School of Law, King has established an outstanding record in the legal profession and in public service.
- Spearman earned a bachelor’s degree in human services and a master’s degree in counselor education, both from UW Oshkosh. He serves as a senior academic adviser and multicultural student coordinator in the Sheldon B. Lubar School of Business at UW-Milwaukee.
- After earning a bachelor’s degree in journalism from UW Oshkosh, Zibung founded “The Heckler,” a tabloid publication that takes a satirical look at the long-suffering fans of the Chicago Cubs and other Chicago teams. More recently, he helped StubHub — the online marketplace for tickets to sporting events, concerts and other live entertainment — found its on-the-ground operations with offices in Chicago and Detroit.
For more information about the Alumni Association’s awards and recognition program or to nominate a fellow classmate for the 2010 awards, visit www.uwosh.edu/alumni/member-benefits/awards-recognition.php.