Wisconsin State College at Oshkosh Class of 1959 alumni spent the weekend reminiscing about their years on campus and reuniting with fellow classmates, during 50th reunion activities May 15 and 16.
For the first time, alumni representing the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh’s 50th reunion class helped celebrate commencement by leading in the procession of 2009 candidates for graduation at the afternoon ceremony May 16.
“Certainly, more than the name has changed at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh since you were students,” UW Oshkosh Foundation President Arthur Rathjen said, during a luncheon honoring the Class of 1959 and other Golden Titans.
“There are obvious changes to the appearance of campus; technology has advanced tremendously, and today’s students enjoy an incredible selection of programs and special experiences that enhance their education. But the need for a good education remains timeless.”
Patricia (Dunlavy) Warmbrunn ’59, of Appleton, agreed. “I just want to say that I got a wonderful start on my career here at UW Oshkosh.”
Rathjen told the Class of 1959 alumni that they would be marching with students who were too young to remember the first space shuttle exploding and who had grown up always having cable television and answering machines.
UW Oshkosh Alumni Director Christine Gantner said, “Although there has been a lot of change, one thing remains the same — your pride in UW Oshkosh, your alma mater.”
“We respect our past, our roots as a normal school and a teachers’ college,” she said. “We are proud of you and celebrate your successful lives and careers.”
Activities during the 50th reunion weekend also included a bus tour of campus, a class dinner at Robbin’s Restaurant and a class photo.
Listen to comments by Class of 1959 alumni.
Comments by Clark Franz
Comments by Robert Gomoll
Comments by Judith Kiser Gomoll
More commencement stories:
- Five tips for grads tackling today’s job market
- 1959 alumni to lead commencement procession
- Greenfield student chosen as class speaker
- Brookfield native chosen as class speaker
- More than 1,400 to receive diplomas May 16
- Live commencement feed viewed internationally
- Take five: spotlight on graduating seniors
- UWO recognizes 10 outstanding seniors May 16
- UW Oshkosh will honor former state legislators
- Class speaker: ‘Keep calm and carry on’
- Keynote speaker: Don’t panic; problem solve
- Class speaker: ‘You haven’t lost the magic’
- Keynote speaker: ‘Be brave and be happy’
- Seen on campus: Spring 2009 Commencement
- Class of 1959 alumni celebrate 50th reunion