Graduating senior Kira-Lynn Reeves, of Brookfield, was selected to be class speaker for the 9 a.m. commencement ceremony on Saturday, May 16, for the Center for New Learning, College of Letters and Science and Graduate Studies.
More than 1,400 undergraduates and graduates will be honored at the morning and afternoon commencement ceremonies at Kolf Sports Center, 785 High Ave., bringing the 2008-2009 class to record-breaking total of about 2,500.
Reeves will graduate summa cum laude with a Bachelor of Science in communication. She will speak about how it is not only necessary to look ahead, but also important to pause and reflect on the present.
“It is impossible to ignore the unique issue we face with a struggling economy and job market,” Reeves said. “I feel that we need to take time to reflect, to be calm and to approach the coming challenges with assured spirits so that we do not sell ourselves and our great work short.”
Throughout her college career, Reeves competed as a member of UW Oshkosh’s Debate Team, served as vice president of the English Club and facilitated a writing lab through Project Success. She received the Chancellor’s Leadership Scholarship in 2005, won first place for a speech at the Provost’s Summit on Teaching and Learning and was named the Outstanding Major in Speech Communication for 2009. While interning with SECURA Insurance of Appleton her senior year, Reeves developed and conducted technical skills courses.
More commencement stories:
- Five tips for grads tackling today’s job market
- 1959 alumni to lead commencement procession
- Greenfield student chosen as class speaker
- Brookfield native chosen as class speaker
- More than 1,400 to receive diplomas May 16
- Live commencement feed viewed internationally
- Take five: spotlight on graduating seniors
- UWO recognizes 10 outstanding seniors May 16
- UW Oshkosh will honor former state legislators
- Class speaker: ‘Keep calm and carry on’
- Keynote speaker: Don’t panic; problem solve
- Class speaker: ‘You haven’t lost the magic’
- Keynote speaker: ‘Be brave and be happy’
- Seen on campus: Spring 2009 Commencement
- Class of 1959 alumni celebrate 50th reunion