Radio-TV-film students at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh continue to rack up national honors for their productions.
At the annual National College Media Convention in Orlando, Fla., 93 productions were selected as finalists from nearly 600 entries in the College Broadcasters, Incorporated student production awards. UW Oshkosh had five productions named as finalists, which tied for the fifth-highest total from the 43 schools honored. One UW Oshkosh entry took one of the 24 first place awards in the competition.
The awards won by UW Oshkosh were:
- Best General Entertainment Program/Television/First Place: “Tales from a College Dorm.” Joe Chitel-Executive Producer; James Lieske/Joe Chitel-Directors; Tyler Frodl-Director of Photography; Pat McCann-Writer; Joe Chitel/James Lieske/Brian Markovich/Tyler Frodl-Producers; Brian Markovich/Andrew Scales/Josh Murphy/Liz D’Allessio/Callie Mills/Pat McCann-actors. This narrative offering on Titan TV was also honored in last year’s CBI competition with a first place award as best television comedy and as a national finalist in the best general entertainment program category. The program will be celebrated with a special marathon airing of both seasons of the series Saturday and Sunday (Nov. 5-6) from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Time Warner Cable 57 in the Oshkosh area and will be followed by a 30-minute student-produced program “The Making Of Tales From a College Dorm.”
- Best Station Imaging/Television/National Finalist: “Titan TV 57 Switch” Mallory Jacobson-promotions director; Tyler Egnarski-program director; Brian Urbanek-editor. This video effort was to promote the change earlier this year when Titan TV was moved to channel 57 in the Time Warner lineup.
- Best Promo/Television/National Finalist: “My Gangster Promo” Ryo Hata/Brian Urbanek-Producers. This short segment promoted the student-produced drama/comedy “My Gangster,” which aired over Titan TV this year.
- Best Vodcast/National Finalist: “Titan Ticker” Kevin Smith-Producer/Bryan Scholz-Anchor This vodcast is a weekly roundup of Titan sports and airs over Titan TV as well as the website of UWO Athletics.
- Best Promo/Radio/National Finalist: “Thursday Night Sports Page Promo” Eric Balkman/Brandon Kinnard-Producers. This production promoted the Thursday edition of WRST’s weeknight sports talk show The Sports Page. The producers used the trailer of the film Inception as their inspiration.
WRST joined CBI in 2009 and Titan TV joined the following year. With this year’s awards, UW Oshkosh has now won three first place honors and had eight national finalists in the CBI competitions.
Attending the conference from among those students listed above were Chitel (Titan TV Station Manager), Lieske (Titan TV News Director), Urbanek (Titan TV Sports Director), Frodl (Titan TV Operations Manager), Markovich (Titan TV producer/actor), Kinnard (WRST Sports Director) and Balkman (WRST Production Director). The students attended numerous panels and some received a tour of the operations center of the Golf Channel.
Also along were Director of Television Services Justine Stokes and Director of Radio Services Randall Davidson of the RTF faculty. Stokes chaired two roundtable discussions: one on TV/Video Automation and Operations and another for TV/Video Managers. She teamed up with Davidson to present on the topic “Encouraging Collaboration and Convergence in Student Broadcast Media,” during which they shared the successes and challenges they’ve had in fostering cooperation between WRST and Titan TV.
The award winners can be seen and heard on the RTF Vimeo page at http://vimeo.com/uwortf/
Director of Radio Services Randall Davidson submitted this announcement. Faculty, staff and students are encouraged to contribute calendar items, campus announcements and other good news to UW Oshkosh Today.