The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh will usher in autumn with a variety of events for the whole family Sept. 19-20.
The campus community and the city at large are invited to the eighth-annual Fall Fest on the Fox, a celebration of Oshkosh’s waterways and the “bridges” that connect the public with the University’s students, staff and faculty.
For more information about Fall Fest on the Fox, visit www.uwosh.edu/fallfest. To learn more about the Dragon Boat Race and Festival, to paddle as part of team or to volunteer, visit www.oshkoshdragonboat.com.
Here is the comprehensive schedule of Fall Fest on the Fox:
Friday, Sept. 19
- 10 a.m.-3 p.m., Student-Generated Graffiti Art — Students, faculty, staff and visitors are invited to express themselves by stenciling, painting and doodling on temporary walls on the lawn outside Reeve Memorial Union.
- Noon – 11 p.m., Oshkosh Community Dragon Boat Practice and Paddle Party — Paddlers for Saturday’s Dragon Boat Races practice from noon to 6 p.m. Everyone is welcome to cheer on the teams, followed by a night of free music by Boogie and the Yoyoz, food and fun. Gates open at 6:30 p.m. at Leach Amphitheater.
- 2, 3 and 4 p.m., Kayaking — Warm up for the Dragon Boat Races — or just get out on the water — with a Fox River kayaking session at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. Xpeditions will provide a lesson on paddling techniques as well as kayaks, paddles and life jackets (limit nine), or bring your own. There is no charge. For more information, contact Bruce Coleman at email@example.com.
- 3:30 p.m., Tour de Oshkosh — Want to participate in Fall Fest, but don’t want to get wet? Take a tour of Oshkosh by bike! The route will feature historical highlights and fun destinations. Xpeditions will provide the bike and helmet (limit 10), or bring your own. Meet at Xpeditions in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. For more information, contact Bruce Coleman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4 p.m., Women’s Tennis — UW Oshkosh vs. UW-River Falls at the outdoor courts at Kolf Sports Center. There is no charge to attend.
- 4-7 p.m., Fish Fry on the Fox — The University welcomes the community to an open house featuring a buffet dinner, live music, horse-drawn carriage tours of campus and more. The feast and fun can be found at Blackhawk Commons. Tickets cost $10 for adults, $5 for children 3 to 11 and free for children 2 and younger. Advanced tickets are required; visit www.uwosh.edu/fallfest.
- 5:30-8:30 p.m., Artist’s Reception — Scott Stulen will talk about his painting and sculpture exhibition, “Losing My Edge,” at 5:30 p.m. in Room 306 of Reeve Memorial Union Theatre, followed by a reception from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Gail Floether Steinhilber Gallery. Admission is free.
- 7 p.m., Salute to Scholarship — Families and faculty gather to recognize freshman scholarship recipients at Reeve Memorial Union.
- 7 p.m., Women’s Volleyball — UW Oshkosh vs. UW-Stout at Kolf Sports Center. $7 for adults, $5 for seniors and $3 for high school students and younger. $1 surcharge added to all tickets.
Saturday, Sept. 20
- 8 a.m.-6 p.m., Oshkosh Community Dragon Boat Festival — The dragons once again will invade Riverside Park, as teams of 20 paddlers race along the Fox River in 40-foot-long canoe-like vessels. Along with the races, a family festival, including hands-on activities for kids, music, games and food make Oshkosh Community Dragon Boat Festival the area’s most exciting event of the season. Admission to the festival is free. For more details, visit www.oshkoshdragonboat.com.
- 9 a.m., Parents’ Breakfast with the Chancellor — Parents of current and prospective UW Oshkosh students will have the chance to ask questions of administrators as they enjoy an old-fashioned country breakfast at Reeve Memorial Union. Tickets cost $7 for adult, $6 for University student and $4.50 for children 11 and younger. Advance tickets are required at www.uwosh.edu/fallfest.
- Noon, Women’s Volleyball — UW Oshkosh vs. UW-River Falls at Kolf Sports Center. $7 for adults, $5 for seniors and $3 for high school students and younger. $1 surcharge added to all tickets.
- 1 p.m., Men’s Soccer — UW Oshkosh vs. Central College (Iowa) at J. J. Keller Field at Titan Stadium, Oshkosh Sports Complex. $7 for adults, $5 for seniors and $3 for high school students and younger. $1 surcharge added to all tickets.
- 8 p.m., Comedian Johnny Walker — Reeve Memorial Union Underground. Free.