EXPECTATIONS OF THE STUDENT SOUND DESIGNER
1. The sound designer will discuss the play with the director concerning conceptual and technical requirements of lighting for the play. It is expected that the designer will thoroughly read the play and make notes about questions or ideas pertaining to the script before this meeting.
2. Design ideas for music and effects should be communicated to the Director using some combination of samples and sound clips. These must meet with the approval of the Director, and faculty Technical Supervisor according to schedule.
3. The sound designer is expected to be at every production meeting to discuss any changes that may develop in the production. The sound designer must stay abreast of all changes action and blocking which may change any of the sound aspects.
4. A ground plan should be obtained from the scenery designer as soon as it is available to plan speaker placement, etc.
5. The sound designer will produce a sound plot and equipment schedule complete with source type, speaker location, and annotated sound cue sheets.
6. The sound designer will assemble, record, and edit all required sound effects, internal music, and incidental music cues. The sound designer will direct insetting up all sound equipment, including microphone and sources, playback and control equipment, amplifiers and speakers. It is expected that the sound designer will make all possible efforts to meet setup schedules. Setup schedules will be decided by the technical director.
7. The sound designer will meet with the control board operator, director and stage manager at a "dry tech" to set cues. When possible, the sound designer should schedule time prior to the dry tech and technical rehearsals to set preliminary levels.
8. The sound designer will be present at all technical and dress rehearsals. The sound designer should be on headset and work to perfect the function of the design according to the abilities of the crews and equipment involved.
9. The sound designer will work with the master sound technician to make any changes required in the plot to suit the design.
10. The sound designer is encouraged to attend opening night.
11. All designers are expected to participate in strike night.