EXPECTATIONS OF THE STUDENT COSTUME DESIGNER
1. The Costume Designer will meet with the Director and design team to discuss concept and requirements or specific concerns regarding costumes. It is expected that the designer has thoroughly read the play and has made notes regarding questions or ideas pertaining to the script prior to the first meeting.
2. Rough sketches with suggestions for color should be communicated to the Director and meet with the approval of the Director, and faculty Costume Designer/Technology Supervisor according to schedule.
3. Color drawings/renderings with fabric swatches for each character and costume changes should be delivered to the costume shop according to schedule.
4. The Costume Designer is responsible for:
a. pulling from stock, costume pieces that are needed
b. purchasing any clothing or accessory items needed
c. purchasing fabric and notions that are needed to construct the costumes
d. purchasing specialty hair and makeup items that are needed
*All purchasing must be made in consultation with the faculty Costume Designer, and follow guidelines for purchasing according to the University.
5. The designer will work in the shop daily to:
- answer questions
- solve design problems
- schedule and attend fittings
- assist in construction and alterations as needed.
6. The designer must meet the scheduling requirements of the Costume Technology Supervisor with regard to delivery of purchased items needed for construction, fittings and alterations.
8. The designer should attend all costume fittings.
9. The designer must consult with the Director and faculty Costume Designer with regards to proposed changes before any changes are made.
10. The designer must be present at all dress rehearsals, and is encouraged to attend opening night.
11. All designers are expected to participate in the strike of the show.