Part of the Campus Sustainability Plan is committing to reducing environmental impact through every bite taken on campus, whether it is choosing the food we eat, conserving the water and energy needed to cook and clean, or reducing wastes.
Our definitions of sustainable foods include...
UWO Sustainable food actions include:
- Batch cooking to minimize food waste
- Solid waste is reduced by decreasing food waste and recycling
- Use of a pulper in Blackhawk Commons to squeeze water from compostable solid waste, making transports lighter
- Using campus biodigesters to convert waste to methane gas and generate energy
- Dish washing machines and refuse systems to lower water and energy consumption
- Serving only fair trade coffee in Blackhawk Commons and catering operations
- Signing a dining services contract that includes policies reflecting dimensions of sustainable food
- Purchasing green materials in all dining facilities
Learn more about our goals for sustainable dining services at UWO in the Campus Sustainability Plan.