In addition to the programs and classes that give you the opportunity to get involved on campus and in the community, there are also choices to be made by individuals that make a difference. As members of the UW Oshkosh and the global community, we each-student, faculty, and staff-have the choice to use resources mindfully. The Sustainability Office encourages the entire UW Oshkosh community to integrate sustainable actions into your daily lives. Here is what you can do on campus
In addition, we can all:
- Reduce energy consumption
- Start by not turning on lights, computers or projectors unless you really need them. Look how much energy your computer uses!
- If you do turn on appliances or lights, make sure to turn them off. Many lights on campus time out after a period of inactivity, but it can't hurt to switch them off a few minutes before that.
- Use warm air hand dryer instead of paper towels. They still use energy, but much less than the harvest/recycling, production, and transportation of paper.
- Reduce water consumption
- In buildings that are that are equipped with such toilets, pull the level up to flush liquid waste. It's a water-saving feature on new models that may take some getting used to, but is more than worth it!
- Refill your water bottle instead of purchasing pre-bottled water. It saves the water needed to produce all those plastic bottles in the first place.
- Turn off water while you wash your hands or brush your teeth.
- If you notice a water leak, report it to Campus Maintenance at 920-424-3266 or submit a work request.
- Reduce transportation emissions
- Eat more sustainably & choose more Fair Trade products
- A vegetarian diet is more efficient, pound-for-pound, than a meat eater's diet in terms of the water, land, and fossil fuels needed to grow the crops to support it.
- The more local your food the less fossil fuels used in transporting it to your plate. Choose in-season foods whenever possible.
- Consider more eco-friendly purchasing options
- Get it secondhand to save money, reduce waste, and prevent unnecessary resource use in the production of more products!
- Buy or trade items on MyUWO portal, Oshkosh freecycle, or Craigslist.
- Rent textbooks. Rent outdoor equipment from the Student Rec and Wellness Center
- Trade or borrow from friends & family
- Learn about the sustainability concept
- View campus maps (click "Find Locations" to select Sustainability Points of Interest) or request a tour