Objective: Reduce production of municipal solid waste by 10% from 2012 levels by the end of 2017.
Reduce municipal solid waste by educating the campus community in a way that encourages behavior change.
- Prioritize becoming a zero organic waste campus by 2017.
- Continue participation in Recyclemania waste competition. Provide resources necessary to increase promotion of this event.
- Provide ongoing education of the campus regarding the campus bio-digester facility. Encourage the segregation of organic waste for use in the Bio-Digester.
- Host educational movies on campus regarding waste such Plastic Planet.
- Utilize students to conduct waste stream audits. Publicize results.
- Encourage faculty and staff to select only electronic versions of magazines and trade publications.
- Encourage campus departments to produce only electronic versions of annual reports, brochures, or other correspondence.
- Create brochure regarding the surplus equipment program.
Increase the diversion of materials from the waste stream.
- Identify areas that are underserved and add additional recycling containers to campus facilities and grounds.
- Purchase and install organic food waste recycling containers.
- Continue to enhance recycling efforts during move-in and move–out days in campus residence halls.
- Support efforts to procure biodegradable plastics for waste bags and eating utensils to reduce the amount of contamination in the waste stream.
- Encourage faculty and staff to clean out offices. Recycle all discarded paper waste materials.