Information and Learning Technology
Objective: Maximize use of learning technologies powered by renewable energy sources and reduce consumption of electricity.
- Reducing energy consumption
- Retrofit all campus servers to the most efficient system possible with a similarly efficient setup and ventilation system to reduce heating and cooling costs of the server rooms.
- Ensure practical energy-saving settings are in place for typical cases in labs.
- Purchase energy efficient equipment.
- Continue to seek out the most energy efficient options when purchasing equipment.
- Convert remaining CRT monitors to LCD.
- Make power strips available, especially to residence hall students.
- This also should entail an educational component about the importance of reducing energy consumption and how students can make easy changes in places like dorm rooms.
- Set a lower limit on student printing to discourage waste and to reduce spending.
- Re-investigate 100% recycled-content paper use for campus printers, and begin using where applicable.
- Hybrid classes/online learning
- Investigate classes that can be converted to hybrid or completely online.
- This allows for the reduction in the number of students traveling to campus, reducing carbon emissions.
- Expand partnerships to properly recycle e-waste, such as the Apple recycling program.
- Develop better systems for campus community members to have their e-waste recycled
- Develop an online form
- Hold an annual e-waste recycling day
- This project should include cooperation from Academic Computing, Facilities, the Office of Sustainability, and students.