Objective: To institutionalize sustainability through a shared vision and mission for true sustainability across campus.
- Develop a shared vision of sustainability, that pervades institutional administration and decision making at all levels
- Identify and adopt best management practices for sustainability governance, including:
- Open and transparent flow of information
- Administration/decision makers/governance willing to wrestle with the hard questions and tradeoffs of sustainability and to justify decisions in terms of sustainability
- Mechanisms to ensure that sustainability is considered in campus decision-making
- Clarify roles of different university constituents in sustainability governance (Campus Sustainability Director, Vice Chancellors, Campus Sustainability Council, Oshkosh Student Association)
- Fulfill sustainability-related commitments made in the past (ACUPCC, Fair Trade, Earth Charter), and develop concrete plans to realize these commitments
- Promote the UW Oshkosh campus as a living laboratory by providing administrative oversight for the seamless interaction of operations, teaching, research, and outreach
- Engage with nationally recognized sustainability assessment mechanisms such as the AASHE STARS program or the Sustainable Endowment Institute
- Develop a permanent office for the Campus Sustainability Initiative, including:
- A physical space sufficient to meet present and projected needs
- Staff sufficient to meet present and projected needs
- Administrative support sufficient to meet present and projected needs.
- Revise and update CSC bylaws to:
- Reflect shared vision of sustainability
- Broaden membership (athletics, faculty development, Foundation, IMC)
- Clarify role of the CSC
- Institutionalize roles for sustainability governance by having CSC bylaws approved by administration and all 4 governance groups (Faculty, Academic Staff, Classified Staff, Oshkosh Student Association)
- Develop, enhance, and institutionalize opportunities to involve students in the governance and administration of university sustainability initiatives
- Designate sustainability responsibilities for Administrators to institutionalize the university’s commitment to sustainability. (from 2008 Plan, Organization)
- Update the Sustainability Director's job description to reflect responsibilities consistent with the new Campus Sustainability Plan.
- Establish a sustainability endowment fund