In preparation for your child taking control of their own health care, discuss the following:
- When is it appropriate to seek health care?
- Health insurance coverage and importance of carrying health insurance card.
- How to care for cold, flu and allergy symptoms, stressing that antibiotics are not always necessary.
- How to eat healthy?
- The importance of seven to eight hours of good sleep.
- Young men need to know how/when to perform testicular exam.
- Young women need to know how/when to perform breast self-exam.
- All sexually active young adults should have routine STD testing.
- All young adults should have their cholesterol/lipids checked by the age of 20.
- All young adults should have their blood pressure checked annually.
- Young adults should be aware of the signs and symptoms of mental health problems.