Effective communication is key:
- Take the time to talk to your child about their personal challenges, fears and expectations.
- Model communication skills that you want your child to learn. Give your child permission to discuss emotional subjects and to disagree.
- Discuss any family history of medical or mental health problems. Become an active listener, be patient and avoid interrupting them. Allow your child to make their point.
- Avoid lecturing and criticizing. Share your knowledge and information in a non-judgmental way.
- Encourage your child to solve their own problems.
- Recognize warning signs of depression, anxiety, sleep disorders and substance abuse.
- If your child calls in crisis: