You are here: Home > Parents and Family > Parent and Family Resources > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What resources are available for students who have medical or mental health needs?

The University’s Counseling Center offers confidential assistance to UW Oshkosh students who would like to be more effective in their academic, vocational and personal lives. This could involve examination of such areas/issues as personal values, interpersonal or family relationships, self-esteem and identity, career decision-making, motivation and improving academic performance. The Student Health Center provides healthcare, education and outreach services to a diverse student population and promotes campus wellness and encourages healthy lifestyles and personal responsibility to enhance students' capacity for reaching academic and personal goals.

Is there health insurance available for students on campus?

The Student Health Center does not bill insurance, other than the Family Planning Waiver. However, upon request, you are able to obtain a copy of your receipt with the proper information to enable you to submit your charges to your insurance company for reimbursement.

It is important for you to carry a copy of your health insurance card. Many insurance companies will only cover the cost of care at specific hospitals/clinics. If you require x-rays or specialty care, it is important that you know where your care will be covered.

We recommend that all students have health insurance coverage. If you are not covered by your parents’ plan or if your parents’ plan does not cover you while away at college, UW System has made available a quality, comprehensive plan for you to consider. The plan description is available from Student Assurance Services at (under colleges click on "Look Up School" and select University of Wisconsin Oshkosh).

To find the list of providers or facilities available under the health insurance plan visit the Health EOS Web site.

How safe is UW Oshkosh?

Campus safety is a priority at UW Oshkosh. The University has enacted several programs to ensure the safety and security of the students, such as a free evening and late-night bus service, the Safe Walk program and numerous security measures in the residence halls.

Who can be contacted if a student has an emergency and will be out of class?

The Dean of Student’s Office can be contacted at (920) 424-3100, if a student will be out of class for more than three days. In these situations, an “out of class letter” will be sent to the student’s faculty. In case of any absence, students are encouraged to contact their professors and resolve any missed attendance or assignments with the professor.

Who can I contact if I need to get an emergency message to my son or daughter?

In cases of a family member trying to contact a student because of an emergency, the Dean of Student's Office will attempt to get a message to the student. We will need the student's full name, your relationship to the student, the nature of the family emergency if possible, so we can provide the kind of support needed for the student, and the nature of the message, including whether the student should call home. Please make sure you provide us with a telephone number where we can reach you.

During office hours (7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday) call (920) 424-3100. After hours call the University Police at (920) 424-1212.

What is FERPA and how does it effect what information can be released to me regarding my son or daughter?

Based on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), also known as the Buckley Amendment, the only information that may be released to extra institutional sources without the written permission of the individual student is “directory information.” This is defined by the Act as “the student’s name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, date and place of birth, major field of study, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, and the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student.” Any student not wanting their directory information to be made public must make a written request to the Division of Student Affairs, Dempsey 148. Any information regarding grades, student accounts, disciplinary matters or additional confidential matter cannot be released to parents without specific written release by the student.

Who can I refer my son or daughter to, if there is an issue with his or her roommate?

Roommate issues often are a part of the college experience. The first step in resolving roommate issues usually begins with the two students sitting down to try to work things out. It is encouraged that all roommates fill out a roommate agreement at the beginning of the year. This document provides students with guidelines for discussing matters that sometimes become issues for roommates, such as cleaning, guests or use of each other’s property. Students are able to get copies of the roommate agreement from their Community Adviser (CA) or Residence Hall Director (RHD). If the two students are unable to reach an agreement on their own, there are CAs on every floor who have been trained in mediation. Every building also has a RHD, a professional staff member, who generally has a master’s degree in higher education, counseling or related field.

When are University bills due?

Information regarding student accounts and billing amounts may be obtained from the “Student Accounts” Web Site at

What resources are available for students to find information regarding future careers?

Students can find out more about career possibilities, internships and resumes from Career Services. To learn more about resources available at Career Services, visit online at

What academic advising do you offer?

For a list of frequently asked questions regarding academic advising, please visit This site offers information related to many of the questions that arise regarding courses, requirements and deadlines.

Where can my son or daughter find information about internships?

Taking part in an internship can be a valuable experience for students to determine if the career he/she is seeking is the right one. Employers often hire their interns for permanent employment. For more information, visit online at

Are tutors available?

There are many free tutoring services available at UW Oshkosh. To learn more about services provided by academic departments, individualized help with learning strategies or assistance with writing and math, visit the Center for Academic Resources online at

My student wants to get involved on campus. What student activities are available?

There are a number of student organizations/activities available on the UW Oshkosh campus. These organizations can be a great way for your student to develop close friendships and feel a part of campus social life. To find out more about what is offered, visit

What opportunities are available for studying abroad?

Study abroad programs are excellent opportunities to enhance the overall college experience. Learn more at

What parking is available on campus?

Some students do bring cars to campus, but it is rarely a necessity. Sometimes it becomes a hassle. Bus service is available to most places in the city of Oshkosh. For more information, visit For more information about parking on campus, visit