By January 2015, the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh anticipates its first new chancellor in 14 years will be selected. That is according to a search timeline released by the UW System that was shared with the UW Oshkosh campus community during a series of two open budget forums on Feb. 26.
After sharing UW Oshkosh’s 2015-17 biennial budget plans, challenges and timelines, Chancellor Richard Wells outlined the timeframes for the new chancellor search for dozens of faculty, staff and students who attended and viewed the sessions online.
“At this point we want to do everything we can to focus on a good search,” Wells said.
Wells, who plans to officially retire on Aug. 31, announced that UW System President Ray Cross will appoint an interim UW Oshkosh chancellor to serve while the search-and-screen process deepens and concludes. More details and a timeline on the interim’s selection will be shared in the months ahead.
The following benchmarks in the Chancellor search-and-screen timeline were developed by UW System. The targets may shift based on developments:
- Through late March: UW Oshkosh will seek out and appoint campus-based chancellor search-and-screen committee members. The committee will consist of 11 UW Oshkosh faculty members and two members each from the University Academic Staff, Classified (now University) Staff, student body (likely members of the Oshkosh Student Association), administration and the broader public. Faculty and staff interested in serving on the search-and-screen committee are encouraged to contact their governance group leaders for consideration.
- March 31: UW System President Cross will visit UW Oshkosh and officially charge the assembled search and screen committee.
- April: The UW Oshkosh Chancellor position description will be finalized and advertised.
- April to August: UW System and UW Oshkosh will engage a consultant to assist in and help carry out the search for a pool of chancellor candidates.
- August: Interviews for the semi-finalists for chancellor will take place.
- Mid-August to September: A special UW System Board of Regents committee will field recommendations from the UW Oshkosh search and screen committee and select finalists.
- Early September: Finalist interviews are held.
- Late September-Early October: A selection decision is made.
- Jan 1, 2015 or as negotiated: The new chancellor assumes office.
The presentations outlining both the chancellor search-and-screen process and 2015-17 biennial budget planning details are available online for review.