Fees and Payment Information
All information pertaining to academic fees and dates may be subject to change after publication of this bulletin. It is the student's responsibility to verify the accuracy of the information before acting on it.

Section 36.27 of the Wisconsin Statutes sets forth the conditions under which a student qualifies as a resident of Wisconsin for tuition purposes. Students are classified as residents or non-residents at the time of admission to the University. Non-residents are apprised of their residency status at the time of acceptance. This determination remains unchanged until such time as the student may qualify as a resident under Chapter 36.27 of the Wisconsin Statutes.

A change in residence classification is not an automatic procedure. The student requesting a change must file the necessary forms and provide satisfactory proof of bona fide residency in Wisconsin. The required forms and information can be obtained by contacting the Office of the Registrar, Dempsey Hall 130.

Following are the estimated average costs used for an unmarried undergraduate for the 2000-01 academic year. Students planning for the 2001-2002 academic year should include an increase in costs, depending on inflation.

Wisconsin Resident
Commuter (living with Parents)
Tuition and Fees (Estimated)
Books and Supplies
Room and Board
Miscellaneous and Travel


The following fee information applies to spring, 2001. When determined and released by the Board of Regents (after press time), new fee information for 2001-02 and 2002-03 will be available in the Academic Advisement/Registration Office Dempsey Hall 130, Admissions Office, Dempsey Hall 135, and Student Accounts Office, Dempsey Hall 236. For further information, call 920-424-1332.
Spring 2001 Term Fees

Wisconsin Resident
(12-18 units (crs.))
(9 units (crs.) and above)

(1-12 units (crs.))
(over 18 units (crs.)-per unit (cr.))
(1-8 units (crs.))

Spring 2001 Audit Fees

Non-degree seeking
$ 33.00 approximate per unit (cr.) undergraduate resident
211.00 approximate per unit (cr.) undergraduate non-resident
63.00 approximate per unit (cr.) graduate resident
353.00 approximate per unit (cr.) graduate non-resident

Degree seeking
$ 128.14 approximate per unit (cr.) undergraduate resident
441.14 approximate per unit (cr.) undergraduate non-resident
234.06 approximate per unit (cr.) graduate resident
731.06 approximate per unit (cr.) graduate non-resident

1. Any outstanding balance will be subject to a 1% per month finance charge assessed on the remaining balance. Paying the bill in full by the due date will assure that the 1% finance charge will not be added to the next bill. All bills must be paid in full by the final due date in order to avoid being withdrawn from the University and being assessed additional collection fees.

2. If you add or drop courses during the 11-20th academic calendar day of the fall or spring term resulting in your having been registered for 19 or more units (crs.) for 17 week term, you will incur an additional tuition charge on a per unit (cr.) basis.

3. A surcharge for graduate business courses in the amount of $27.00 per unit (cr.) up to a maximum of $239.00, must be added to the fees displayed to determinate total cost.

4. One dollar and thirty-five cents of assessed charges is a mandatory fee collected for the United Council of the University of Wisconsin Student Governments. Students taking only off-campus courses are exempt from this fee. Students wishing to receive a refund of this fee may request
it from: United Council of the University of Wisconsin Student Governments, Room 203, 8 W. Mifflin Street, Madison, WI 53703. United Council, consisting of representatives from all the University of Wisconsin schools, lobbies on behalf of students and works for the Systemwide improvement of student life and services.

5. Wisconsin residents meeting certain conditions and receiving Federal Old Age Survivors and Disability insurance benefits (OASDI) are not charged fees for auditing courses. Proof of benefits must be provided to Student Accounts, Dempsey Hall, Room 236.

6. Additional mandatory special course fees are listed below by the respective course number.

Special Course Fees

(Non-Refundable, Subject to Change Without Notice)

Students that elect to use precious material must pay the additional cost.

Education (Curriculum and Instruction)
Educational Leadership 308/508 $10.00
Elementary Education 316 $30.00

Geology 360 See your instructor.

In addition to regular academic fees, an applied music instruction fee of $90.00 per unit (cr.) hour may be charged to all non-music major students enrolled for private lessons in vocal or instrumental music. This fee will also be assessed to music majors who elect to take additional lessons beyond the major degree requirements.

Music majors who fail to register for the required large ensemble will also be assessed $90.00 per credit for their applied lessons.

When class and teacher time are available, Music 173, Music 179 and Music 183, class voice, piano, and guitar may be elected by non-music majors. A fee of $35.00 per unit (cr.) will be charged. Permission of the department Chair is necessary.

Physical Education
Physical Education & Health Promotion 112 $5.00
Physical Education & Health Promotion 120 $50.00
Physical Education & Health Promotion 132 $10.00
Physical Education & Health Promotion 134 $10.00
Physical Education & Health Promotion 135 $25.00
Physical Education & Health Promotion 138 $5.00
Physical Education & Health Promotion 140 $18.00
Physical Education & Health Promotion 144 $10.00
Physical Education & Health Promotion 148 $25.00
Physical Education & Health Promotion 157 $20.00
Physical Education & Health Promotion 180 $20.00
Physical Education & Health Promotion 232 $20.00
Physical Education & Health Promotion 244 $10.00

Nursing (cost per course)
Nursing Collaborative Program 317 $640.00
Nursing Collaborative Program 341 $640.00
Nursing Collaborative Program 434 $480.00
Nursing Collaborative Program 437 $640.00
Nursing Collaborative Program 444 $480.00
Nursing Collaborataive Program 495 081C/082C $480.00
Nursing Collaborative Program 495 083C/084C $320.00

Communication 305 $30.00
Communication 307 $15.00
Communication 407 $15.00
Communication 487 $15.00
Communication 434 $5.00
Communication 505 $30.00

2000-01 Food Service and Housing Information

Food Service
20, 14, 10, & 7 Meal
Titan Dollars Plan
Interim 3 Week
15 Meal block
10 or 20 Meal block

1Students with 14 week contracts pay no extra charge for housing during the 3-week term. Contact Residence Life and Food Service Offices regarding refund policies.

Other Fees

Graduation Fee - Undergraduate
The application for graduation form is obtained from the Cashier's Office, Dempsey Hall 232, upon payment of the $20.00 fee. Completed application forms must be turned in to the Academic Advisement Office, Dempsey Hall 130. (Consult the Academic Policies section of the Bulletin for deadlines and the policy on graduation.)

Graduation Fee - Graduate
The application for graduation form is obtained from the Cashier's Office, Dempsey Hall 232, upon payment of the $20.00 fee. Completed application forms must be turned in to the Graduate Office, Dempsey Hall 337. (Consult the "Graduate Degree Requirements" section of the Graduate Bulletin for deadlines and policy on graduation.)

Transcript Fee
Transcript service will cost $3.00 per copy. The request will be processed within five business days. The appropriate fee for the number of transcripts requested must be paid at the time the request is made to the Records Office, Dempsey Hall 142.

Charges for Credit by Examination
Test fees for CLEP and DANTES exams are subject to change by the national testing companies. For current fees, contact Testing Services.
Contact: Testing Services
Phone: 920-424-1432

Library Fees
Library charges are levied for overdue and lost books.

Residence Hall Fees
A voluntary Residence Halls activity fee of $15.00 is collected upon entering a Residence Hall.

Payment Information
(Subject to change without notice)

Payment Date Payment of fees is due on the published due date. Students on the Partial Payment Plan pay 10% of all costs at that time while all others pay 100%.

Payment Location Payments may be made by cash or check (payable to the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh). Payments may be mailed, deposited in the wall depository next to the Cashier's Office or made in person at the Cashier's Office. The Cashier's Office is located in Dempsey Hall 232 and the mailing address is 800 Algoma Blvd., Oshkosh, WI 54901.

Partial Payment Plan The Partial Payment plan allows the student to pay in two installments. Ten per cent (10%) of all current fees are due on the published due date. The remaining balance is divided into two equal payments due in approximately 30 day intervals. A finance charge of 1% per month on the unpaid balance is assessed (12% per annum effective rate). To apply for the Partial Payment plan,
Contact: Student Accounts Office, 800 Algoma Blvd., Oshkosh, WI 54901
Dempsey Hall 236, 7:45 AM - 4:30 PM
Phone: 920-424-1332

Fee Refunds
(Subject to change without notice)

Refund of fees is based on the date of official drop or withdrawal. The refund schedule below covers academic fees and applies to withdrawing students or students dropping courses below the full-time level.

Course Length  Week of Course and % of Refund
3 Weeks
7 Weeks
10 Weeks
14 Weeks
17 Weeks

Refunds of campus housing and meal charges are made on a prorated basis computed weekly. Students must check out of the residence halls according to procedures available at the main desk in each hall. The check out date will be used to determine charges and refunds for housing.

Students enrolled at more than one University of Wisconsin System institution may combine units (crs.) taken in order to determine their full time status and fee assessment. Present evidence of fees paid and units (crs.) being taken with a
request for reimbursement of fees paid in excess of full-time
to the Student Accounts Office, Dempsey Hall 236. Call 920-424-1332 for information.

Appeals for exception to any of the fee payment policies and procedures must be made in writing to the Student Accounts Office, Dempsey Hall 236.

Administrative Charges
(Subject to change without notice)

Board of Regents fee policy requires prompt payment of all University fees. A required administrative fee is assessed in the following circumstances:

When payment is made after the first five regular session days, $45.00 will be assessed;

Courses may be withdrawn if fees are still outstanding after the first week of the term. Withdrawal refers only to your registration. The amount unpaid may still be due.

Cash Handling Procedures Related to University Transactions
Normally payments of fees, room, board, special course charges, and other miscellaneous costs are made to the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh and presented to the Cashier's Office located in Dempsey Hall 232.

Payments for such items as supplies, textbooks, etc. purchased in the Student Union or Bookstore are presented to cashiers in those areas.

Money is sometimes collected in class by instructors for optional field trip costs and charges of a similar nature. In these situations students are entitled to an official University receipt for payment from the instructor.

Any questions regarding fees and fee payment should be directed to Student Accounts 920-424-1332.

Expenses at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Cost of college attendance includes tuition and fees, books and supplies, room and board, utilities, transportation, and personal expenses. For 2000-2001 these costs are expected to total $9,230.00 for undergraduate resident single dependent students living on campus or off campus other than with parents. The cost figures are adjusted for non-resident students, self-supporting students, and students commuting from parents' homes.

Questions about tuition, fees, room and board should be directed to the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Student Accounts Office. Questions about other costs should be addressed to the Financial Aid Office.


Financial aid at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh is awarded primarily on the basis of financial need. Need is defined as the difference between anticipated educational costs and the contribution expected from the students and their families. Parents are expected to contribute from available income and assets; students from savings and earnings. Expected parent and student contributions are computed according to the Federal Need Analysis Methodology. By completing and submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), students and their families provide the Financial Aid Office with information necessary to evaluate the student's financial need. The University attempts to meet that need from available funds.

Applying for Financial Aid

The UW Oshkosh Financial Aid Office uses the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The student may use the paper application or the Web based application.

Applications (or renewal forms) for a given academic year should be completed and filed as soon as possible preceding the application term (See guidelines on the FAFSA).

UW Oshkosh has a priority filing date of March 15. Applications received at the national processing center by that date will receive priority processing and if eligible, the applicant can expect to receive awards from aid sources that are limited. Applications received after the priority date will be processed in the order received and awards will be based on availability of funds.

Students must also have applied for and be admitted before an award notification will be made.


Applications are processed and notification letters sent as soon as possible after federal, state and local awarding formulas are determined.

The Aid Package

Financial aid applicants are evaluated for all the types of aid administered by the Financial Aid Office. It is not necessary to apply separately for each kind of aid desired. Financial aid offered to students may be in the form of grants (gifts), long-term loans, and part-time employment. The typical award is made up of one or more of the following federal or state programs.

Programs Based on Financial Need

Students must meet all of the following eligibility requirements to qualify for federal and state funds:
- demonstrate financial need
- be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen
- enroll in a degree or teacher certification program
- owe no refund on a grant
- not be in default status on a loan
- meet academic progress standards
- meet Selective Service requirements

Federal Pell Grant
This award ranges from approximately $400 - $3000 and is prorated for less than 12 unit (cr.) enrollment.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants (SEOG)
This grant is awarded to students with Pell Grant eligibility and exceptional need.

Indian Grant
This award for Native American students is funded jointly by the Federal Bureau of Indian Affairs (or contracting tribes) and the State of Wisconsin. Recipients must be at least one-fourth American Indian as certified by the appropriate Indian agency. Only residents of the State of Wisconsin can qualify for the state portion of this grant. Non-residents may qualify for the federal portion depending upon the disposition of the contracting tribe. Certification forms are available from the Financial Aid Office, tribal offices, or the Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board.

Wisconsin Higher Education Grant
This state grant is available to Wisconsin residents that qualify according to the formula set by the Higher Education Aids Board (HEAB). Awards ranged from approximately $250 to $1500.

Talent Incentive Program Grant
This state grant is awarded to freshmen students who are Wisconsin residents, meet established criteria and demonstrate exceptional financial need. It may be renewed for four years, based on financial need. Application should be made to a Wisconsin Education Opportunity Center or through nomination by the Financial Aid Office.

Non-Resident Fee Remission
This award is made to out-of-state students with financial need. Maximum value of the award may be up to the dollar difference between resident and non-resident tuition.

Lawton Undergraduate Minority Retention Grant
This University of Wisconsin System award is made to students who have reached sophomore standing and are Wisconsin or Minnesota residents who are Black, Hispanic, American Indian or qualifying Southeast Asian.

Federal Perkins Loan
Awards are need based. Repayment and accrual of 5% annual interest begins 9 months after borrowers cease to be a least a half-time student. Repayment period up to 10 years.

Nursing Student Loan
This need based loan is available only to students enrolled in the College of Nursing. Repayment and accrual of 5% annual interest begins 9 months after the borrower ceases to be a least a half-time student in the College of Nursing.

Federal Stafford Loan
This loan is available from banks and other private lenders after the Financial Aid Office notifies applicants of their eligibility.

Annual loan maximums begin at $2,625 for freshman and increase to $5,500 starting with junior year. The cumulative loan maximum is $23,000.

A processing fee is charged. The interest rate on this loan is variable. Interest subsidy while the student is enrolled, at least half time, is available on the portion of the loan based on financial need. Loan amounts not based on financial need will have an interest charge while the student is enrolled. Repayment begins after a 6 month grace period which starts when enrollment ceases to be at least half time.

Federal Work Study Program
This type of part-time employment is available to students with financial need. Most jobs are on campus with a few jobs being available at eligible non-profit off-campus agencies.

Some Other Sources of Financial Assistance

Financial need is not the primary requirement in some of the following forms of financial aid. Awards may be determined by parties other than the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Financial Aid Office.

Federal PLUS
This loan is for parents of dependent students. It is not based on financial need; however, the loan is limited so that the student's other financial aid and this loan together do not exceed the cost of education for the term of the loan. Processing fees are charged. Repayment begins after disbursement. Interest rate is variable. The student must apply for financial aid.

Short Term Loan
A limited amount of Short-Term ("Emergency") Loan money is available to the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh students. The maximum loan is $50 and is to be repaid in one month or less. There is no interest charged. Continued use of the Short-Term Loan Fund by students depends upon prompt repayment of these loans.

Student Assistant Employment
This is part-time employment for students on the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh campus. No financial need analysis is required. Interested students should contact individual departments or check the job listings at the Financial Aid Office.

Food Service Employment
The franchised food service at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh provides jobs for students. Inquiries should be directed to the manager at the commons or Food Service Office, University of Wisconsin Oshkosh.

Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
Students with physical or mental handicaps may be eligible for vocational rehabilitation benefits. Interested persons should contact D.V.R., Room 720, Wisconsin State Office Building, 1 West Wilson, Madison, Wisconsin 53702, or the local D.V.R. office. Financial need is considered; awards are made by the respective D.V.R. offices.

High Schools and Other Community Agencies and Organizations
In most communities financial assistance for college attendance is provided by various educational, industrial, professional, and fraternal organizations. Students should check with their school counselors for further information.

International Student Scholarship
A limited number of these awards, up to the amount of non-resident tuition, are available to foreign students who have financial need. Recipients are selected by a University committee. Inquiries for new students should be directed to the Admissions Office; continuing students should contact the advisor to international students.

Minnesota - Wisconsin Reciprocity Program
This arrangement permits an eligible Minnesota resident to attend the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh and pay Minnesota resident fees. Interested Minnesota residents should write to Higher Education Coordinating Commission, 400 Capitol Square Bldg., 550 Cedar Street, St. Paul, Minnesota 55101.

Minority Teacher Forgivable Loan
The Minority Teacher Forgivable Loan is made to minority students who are in their junior or senior year of approved teacher preparation. It is limited to Wisconsin residents. A portion of the loan will be forgiven for each year spent teaching at an eligible high school.

University of Wisconsin Oshkosh offers non-need based scholarships including the Honors Scholarships and Minority Honor Scholarship. The Financial Aid Office has information on scholarships available to continuing students.

Scholarships are not awarded as part of a financial aid "package," but such awards, if received, are considered a student resource and may affect the amount of aid the student may receive.

Veterans Administration
Many veterans of military service are eligible for monthly benefits to attend college. Additional assistance is provided to disabled veterans. Children of deceased and disabled veterans are also eligible for benefits. Inquiries should be directed to the Regional Office of the Veterans Administration (1-888-GIBILL1) or the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Veterans' Advisor, Dempsey Hall 130.
Student Budgeting

Financial aid which students receive from the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh will complement the other resources of students in order to meet their total financial need. It will be the responsibility of aid recipients to budget all those resources with attention to the following considerations:

  • Payment for tuition, fees, books, room, and board should take precedence over other expenditures; (2) earnings from summer and academic term employment should be spread over the entire academic term; (3) expected parental contribution should be discussed with parents in advance of the school year (In some cases a PLUS loan to replace the parental contribution may be appropriate); (4) changes in a family's financial circumstances should be reported to the Financial Aid Office; (5) the Financial Aid Office should be notified of special educational or emergency expenses of the student; (6) a student living in the residence hall should be aware that his/her budget is based upon the cost of a double room; no additional allowance is made for a student occupying a single room; (7) in choosing off-campus housing the student should keep in mind financial aid budget limitations; (8) a student should not accept a loan without full consideration of repayment obligations; and (9) the Financial Aid Office can provide financial counseling.

Further Information

It should be noted that because of the number and complexity of financial aid programs only basic descriptions of the various sources of aid can be provided here. No attempt is made to provide a comprehensive listing of all the considerations in assessing financial need and determining eligibility for funds.

Furthermore, all guidelines for administering financial aid programs are subject to change at any time as the result of legislative action or administrative mandate from the federal and state agencies responsible for the direction of the programs.

The awarding of financial aid to students depends upon each student's eligibility and the availability of funds. If funds are exhausted, eligibility is meaningless. As funds are often insufficient to meet the need, the importance of early application cannot be overemphasized.

Contact: Financial Aid Office, Dempsey Hall 104.
Phone: 920-424-3377
Web Site:
Questions, Comments...
  Please Email

Last Updated July 1, 2001