Erin Winterrowd, Ph.D.
Office: Clow Faculty 12
Phone: (920) 424-7175
- B.A. (Psychology), Willamette University (Salem, OR) – 2002
- M.S. (Counseling Psychology), Colorado State University (Fort Collins, CO) – 2007
- Graduate Certificate (Women's Studies), Colorado State University (Fort Collins, CO) – 2010
- Ph.D. (Counseling Psychology), Colorado State University (Fort Collins, CO) – 2010
- Pre-Doctoral Internship, University of Utah Counseling Center (Salt Lake City, UT) – 2009-2010
My research interests center around gender and cultural influences on human behavior. Specifically, I investigate issues of suicidality and vocational choices faced by understudied groups including ethnic minorities, women, and older adults. The goal of my suicidality studies is to examine interpersonal and cultural risk and protective factors across the lifespan. In addition to suicidal behavior, I am exploring cultural factors in the underrepresentation of women and some ethnic minorities in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) careers. Information gathered from these studies may help to explain why despite the ability, drive and interest in math-related careers, many women do not pursue education and careers in these fields. In collaboration with counseling centers across the University of Wisconsin System, I also recently began investigation of the impact of mental health services on student well-being and academic success.
Currently Teaching: General Psychology (PSY101), Psychology of Gender (PSY260), Abnormal Psychology (PSY303), and Practices in Clinical Psychology (PSY481).
- Omerod, A. J., Joseph, D. L. Weitzman, L. M. & Winterrowd, E. (in press). Career issues and challenges viewed through a feminist multicultural lens: Work-life interface and sexual harassment. In C. Z. Enns & E. N. Williams (Eds.). The Oxford Handbook of Feminist Multicultural Counseling Psychology. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Winterrowd, E., & Canetto, S. S. (2012). The long-lasting impact of adolescents' problematic friends on suicidality: A 3-year follow up perspective. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. doi: 10.1007/s00127-012-0529-2
- Winterrowd, E., Canetto, S. S., & Chavez, E. (2011). Friendship factors and suicidality: Common and unique patterns in Mexican- and European-American youth. Suicide and Life Threatening Behavior. doi: 10.111_i.1943-278X.2010.00001
- Winterrowd, E., Canetto, S. S., & Chavez, E. (2010). Friendships and suicidality among Mexican-American adolescent girls and boys. Death Studies, 34, 641-660.
- Schmidt, G., Kimel, L., Winterrowd, E., Pennington, B., Hepburn, S., & Rojas, D. (2008). Impairments in phonological processing and non-verbal intellectual function in parents of children with autism. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, 30, 557-567.
- Winterrowd, E., Hepburn, S. L., Kimel, L. K., Reite, M. L., & Rojas, D.C. (2008). Relationship of psychiatric disorders to measures of child function in parents of children with autism. Mental Health Aspects of Developmental Disabilities, 11, 42-54.
- Peterson, E., Schmidt, G. L., Tregallas, J. R., Winterrowd, E., Kopelioff, L., Hepburn, S., Reite, M., & Rojas, D. C. (2006). A voxel-based morphometry study of gray matter in parents of children with autism. Neuroreport, 17, 1289-1292.
- Rojas, D. C., Peterson, E., Winterrowd, E., Reite, M. L., Rogers, S. J., & Tregallas, J. (2006). Regional gray matter volumetric changes in autism associated with social and repetitive behavior symptoms. BMC Psychiatry, 6, 56-68.
* Student author
- Winterrowd, E., *Lyons, A., & Mihalick, J. (Jan 2013). Evaluating two programs for advancing post-doctoral and faculty women in STEM. Poster presented at the annual National Multicultural Summit, Houston, TX.
- Winterrowd, E. & *Priniski, S. J. (April 2012). Examining the effectiveness of mental health services on University of Wisconsin System campuses: A pilot of the Learning Outcomes and Satisfaction Survey. Invited presentation. Annual meeting of the Wisconsin Association of Practicing Counselors in Higher Education, Green Lake, WI.
- Winterrowd, E., Canetto, S. S., *Murphy, T., *DeKeyser, S., & *Boerst, A. (April 2012). U.S. perceptions of precipitants and protectors of older adult suicide. Panel presented at the annual meeting of the American Association of Suicidology. Baltimore, MD.
- Winterrowd, E. & Canetto, S. S. (April 2011). Prevention of late life suicides: The life cycle approach to understanding late life suicidal behavior. Forum panelist at the annual meeting of the American Association of Suicidology, Portland, OR.