The Chancellor, in consultation with the donors and the UW Oshkosh Foundation Board, shall be responsible for the administration of the University of Oshkosh program of Endowed Professorships. The Provost and Vice Chancellor, in consultation with the Deans, will be responsible for formulating recommendations for the policies and procedures of the program. Faculty members and governance groups shall be asked to provide advice and comments on all aspects of the program.
The University Professorship
Endowed Professorships may be of several types:
- University- wide and available to faculty in any college;
- Restricted to a particular college, division or discipline;
- Interdisciplinary or intercollegiate for broad subject areas.
Each appointment shall be for a period of four years. To be eligible for a second award, a period of two years must lapse between the end of the last award and the beginning of a subsequent award. An Endowed Professorship shall carry:
- An annual stipend of $2,500 for professional development including academically related travel, equipment, and supplies and/or student assistance; and
- An annual stipend of $500 to the recipient's department to promote its mission.
Criteria for Selection
All faculty members who are tenured and hold the rank of associate or full professor at the time of nomination will be eligible for the award of an Endowed Professorship. The primary criterion of selection shall be excellence in scholarship and/or creative accomplishments, for example, research publications, literary works, paintings, musical compositions or performances. A candidate must also have demonstrated a record of quality teaching. The supporting materials submitted with a nomination shall include:
- A letter detailing the accomplishments of the nominee;
- Evidence of accomplishments (e.g., articles, books, reviews of shows,etc.);
- Evidence of ability to serve as an ambassador of the University;
- Three letters of support from authorities outside UW Oshkosh, who are in the nominee's field or a related field.
The selection process shall be as follows:
- Normally, nominates of individuals shall be submitted by departments to Deans. In exceptional circumstances, an individual may wish to submit a self-nomination to a Dean.
- Deans shall make recommendations to the Provost and Vice Chancellor.
- The Provost and Vice Chancellor shall, with the help of the university-wide committee appointed by the Provost and Vice Chancellor in consultation with the President of the Faculty Senate, make recommendations to the Chancellor.
- The Chancellor shall make the final decisions.
- November 2, 2015: Nominations from departments due to Deans
- December 1, 2015: Nominates from Deans due to Provost
- February 1, 2016: Nominations from Provost due to Chancellor
- March 28, 2016: Decision on Awards by Chancellor
- September 2016: Announcement of Award Recipients at Opening Day Ceremony
2010-2015 ENDOWED PROFESSORSHIP RECIPIENTS