By Aaron Brower
- T&L Symposium, May 2008. 250 faculty, staff and graduate student participants for this 2-day campus-wide event.
- Teaching Academy Summer Institute, June 2008. 25 participants (competitive process to be eligible to attend) for a week-long intensive program for instructional materials development.
- Revamping of New Faculty Orientation, August and entire 2008-09 academic year. 1 day orientation event plus workshops through the year aimed at topics as broad as developing syllabi, to balancing research and teaching, to mentoring graduate students.
ISSUES/PROJECTS CURRENTLY WORKING ON
- Essential Learning Outcomes Assessment. Working with academic departments, units and programs to develop content-specific rubrics using the ELO "rhetorical framework" within their courses, majors and curriculum.
- Assessment Council. This body is using the ELO rhetorical framework to help departments, units and programs accomplish assessment of student learning and to guide program review.
- Teaching Professional Development. The Vice Provost for Teaching & Learning is coordinating the individual TPD programs across campus to develop a TPD program. This involves coordinating existing programs (Delta, HHMI,
- New Teaching and Learning Excellence website. The
- Technology Enhanced Learning project. The TEL competitive grant award program is in the 2nd of a 3-year cycle to develop projects that support campus infrastructure to more effectively teach in the "classrooms of the future". These projects are technologically focused, of course, but also involve teaching professional development/capacity building for faculty, staff, and graduate students.CopyrightUW System