UW Oshkosh Plone confab report for Jan. 6, 2012
our weekly Friday afternoons
We met in Polk 336, the old Polk Library staff lounge.
- met Brian Gallops <email@example.com>, library's new STEP student - welcome!
- Polk web services: David's new product uwosh.library.ws can output either JSON or XML on demand and has IP address restriction capabilities
- Nathan's mention of http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zope.dottedname for importing modules given their name
- JSON-P consumer http://json-p.org/
- cross-origin scription http://www.w3.org/TR/cors/
- Intranet skin that is basically the campus skin
- Nathan working on a set of tools to transfer Plone site content only (but not based on wsapi4plone from WebLion), running into a large blob file creation problem on save
- Zope-only sites:
- Python coding huTools http://pypi.python.org/pypi/huTools/
- chosen widget from plone.app.widgets https://github.com/plone/plone.app.widgets
- Apache Solr http://lucene.apache.org/solr/ and autocompletion of web service class data shared by library and IMC, Solr lack of security, Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) compliance
- MIT OpenCourseWare (built on Plone) http://ocw.mit.edu/
- discussion of improvements to campus skin products (uwosh.theme*):
- redo them based on Plone 4 default Sunburst theme (currently based on Plone 3 classic theme)
- responsive / mobile
- fixed or variable width optional
- front page has full header, but other pages not
- front page has fixed width, but other pages do not
- what else? more light boxes, ajax
- use Diazo or CMSUI or both
Our next confab will be on Friday, January 13, 2012.