The Department of Physics/Astronomy at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh consists of six faculty members with active research programs in astrophysics, surface physics, physics education, nanofibers, and infrared and magneto-optical spectroscopy of exotic materials. On-campus facilities include an astronomy laboratory, surface physics laboratory, nanotechnology laboratory, three digital and analog electronics laboratories, student computer lab, and a machine shop.
The small and personal nature of our department means that we can offer our students excellent opportunities for both research and education at all levels. Recent graduates have been accepted into the California Institute of Technology, Georgia Institute of Technology, University of California Santa Cruz, University of Colorado, and University of North Carolina Chapel Hill.
Majors and Minors
If you are thinking about a major or minor in physics, the department offers a choice of three emphases, which you can tailor to your career goals:
- Professional emphasis
- Applied physics
- Secondary education emphasis
- Physics - Engineering Dual Degree
- Physics Minor
- Astronomy Minor
For more information about these programs, view the Majors and Minors Web page.
Careers in Physics or Astronomy
If you are considering a career in physics or astronomy, you probably already know what a challenging and interesting path lies ahead of you. Learn about careers in physics, who's hiring, and more from the American Institute of Physics.
- The starting salary for a Bachelor's degree in physics ranges between $46,000 to $58,000. (Source: American Physical Society)
- For new Ph.D.'s in industry it is about $50,000 to $80,000. (Source: American Physical Society)
- Of the students who receive bachelor's degrees, 43 percent take jobs in the industry and 57 percent continue towards a higher degree.
- The total unemployment rate for physics graduates is 4 percent. (Source: American Institute of Physics )
If you would like further information on our programs, please feel free to contact us.