Personal tools
Parking Regulations
Permit Parking Only

Parking regulations are enforced year-round, even when classes are not in session.

Weekend Parking Rules

Parking in any legal, non-reserved space is free from 4:00 p.m. on Friday through 6:00 a.m. on Monday.

Contact Information

Parking Services
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Blackhawk Commons Lower Level
800 Algoma Blvd.
Oshkosh, WI 54901-8699
Phone: (920) 424-4455
Fax: (920) 424-0906

Office Hours:
7:45 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

You are here: Home > General Parking Information > FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you ticket during school breaks, summers and interims?

YES.  The Parking Services office enforces all parking rules and regulations year-round, even when classes are not in session.

I have a carpool (on a hook) permit but I don’t have it with me today. What should I do?

There are four options:            

  1. You may come into the Parking Services office and request a free one-day temporary permit.

  2. You may use a meter or pay station ($1.00 an hour for locations other than Lot 15, which is $1.50 per hour).

  3. You may call our office to let us know and provide your name, license plate number and vehicle information and the lot you are parked in for the day.

  4. You may opt to park on the city streets.

I just received a parking ticket that I feel was unjustly given. What should I do?

You have the option to appeal the ticket.  An appeal is due in the Parking Services office within 72 hours after the ticket is written (excluding Saturdays, Sundays and holidays).  The appeal may be submitted via our website or in writing on the Parking Ticket Appeal Form that is provided in the Parking Services office or on a plain sheet of paper.  Please remember to include your name, address, ticket (citation) number and explanation.  Written appeals may be mailed, faxed to (920) 424-0906, emailed to or brought to our office.  There is NO guarantee the ticket will be voided.

I have a guest speaker or perspective employee coming to campus. How can I ensure that he/she is not ticketed?

It is the policy of the Parking Services office to offer non-compensated guest speakers for classes or other academic events and perspective employees free parking permits.  It is necessary for the hosting department to secure this permit prior to the person's arrival.  Requests may be emailed to or forms may be completed in the Parking Services office.  Once the request is sent or form is completed and returned to the Parking Services office, a free special permit will be issued and the host will be notified when the permit is available for pick-up.  It is suggested that the host inform the guest how the permit should be displayed and the location of the lots where the permit is valid.  If you have any questions on how to display the permit or where the permit is valid, please ask us when picking up the permit.

If I put my flashers on, will I still get a ticket?

YES, if you are parked in violation of parking rules with or without flashers, you will receive a ticket.

What forms of payment do you accept?

The Parking Services office accepts cash, check, credit or debit cards (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) or if you are a UW Oshkosh student, payment can be billed to your student account or you may use money on your TitanCard or Reeve Memorial Gift Card.  Also, ticket payments can be made online through the Pay a Ticket button in the upper right section.  Full-time employees of the University can also have the cost of parking permits deducted from their payroll checks.  This is only an option for permits purchased near the beginning of the academic school year.

I have tickets that I can’t afford to pay at this time. Does the Parking Services office take charge cards?        

YES, the Parking Services office accepts Visa, MasterCard and American Express.  If you are a current student, we can also add the charges to your student account at your request.

What kinds of parking permits are offered?

For the types of permits we offer and the pricing, please see the Permits section of our website.

When does my parking permit expire?

All parking permits have the expiration date on the face of the permit.  If you have questions about your permit, please call our office at (920) 424-4455 or email us at

I have a disabled hang tag or license plate from the State of Wisconsin. Where am I allowed to park on campus?

As long as you display both a valid UW Oshkosh parking permit AND your disabled hang tag or license plate, you may park in ANY disabled space in any of the lots on campus.

How are parking rates determined?

Parking rates are determined by the costs of facilities, maintenance, administration, security and enforcement.  These costs are then passed on as user fees to those who use the parking facilities.

What should I do if I am selling/trading in my vehicle and getting a new one?

If you have a sticker permit affixed to your vehicle, please remove your permit before selling or trading in your vehicle.  Bring the permit (it will likely come off in pieces) to the Parking Services office for a new permit to put on your new vehicle.  If you need help removing the permit, you may park in the 15-minute spot in Lot 15 and come to our office to request that we assist in the removal of the permit.  Failure to remove and return your permit from your old vehicle may result in a replacement charge for your permit.

If you use a plastic hanger (carpool hook) with your permit, please just call the Parking Services office at (920) 424-4455 or email us at to let us know your new vehicle’s information.

How do I arrange for group parking for an event at UW Oshkosh?

For event parking information, please email us at with specifics about your event, such as name and location of event, date(s), arrival and departure times, and approximate number of attendees.  An email response will be sent to notify you of any parking accommodations.

When is the Parking Services office open?

Our office hours of operation are Monday through Friday 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  The office is closed on holidays observed by the University.  However, rules and regulations are enforced 24 hours per day all year long, regardless of whether or not classes are in session.

What should I do if the parking lot I normally park in is full?

We encourage everyone to allow some time before their class / work / activity to find a valid parking spot.  If the lot you normally park in is full, please continue to look through the other lots where your permit is valid.  There is almost always a spot open; however, it may not be in the closest, most convenient lot for you.  You may have to walk a small distance.  Please see the parking map for other lots where your permit is valid.

Where does the money go from permit fees and parking tickets?

The Parking Services office is a self-supporting enterprise.  All revenues collected through permit sales, visitor fees and parking tickets stay in the department to help defray the cost of maintenance projects, building of new parking facilities, salaries of staff and to make payments on the bonds associated with previously built parking structures.

I have a parking permit but I am leaving the University. Can I transfer the permit to another person?

NO, due to the demand for parking permits, it is the best and fairest policy to offer that permit to an individuals on a waiting list.  Also, permits are associated with specific license plate numbers, and if the permit does not match the license plate, the permit may be considered stolen and any vehicle displaying the permit may be ticketed and towed at owner's expense.

If I am leaving the University after a semester and I bought a year-long permit, can I get a refund?

You may be eligible to receive a prorated refund if you bring an identifiable portion of the permit to the Parking Services office.  Parking Services will then process the prorated refund, minus a $5.00 service charge.

I have a night class or a job off of campus and don’t want to walk to my car alone at night.  What can I do?

Call the University Police at (920) 424-1212 and request a Safe Walk with Community Services Officers.  They are available to escort you during later evening/early morning hours.  For more information on Safe Walk, please visit the University Police website.

I will be using the Halsey computer lab after midnight.  Where can I park?

Commuter students who have a valid parking permit and are working in the Halsey computer lab after midnight may park in Lot 17 (located on Scott Street) by calling Parking Services and leaving your name, license plate number, vehicle make and color, as well as the date and time.  Persons who do not have a parking permit may call with their name, license plate number, vehicle make and color, as well as the date and time and then buy a one-day permit from our office within 24 hours of calling.  This is only valid for as long as you are working in the computer lab.

Are there any Resident Parking Permits left for the current academic year?

Please see the Permits section of our website to see how permits are issued, or contact the Parking Services office at (920) 424-4455 or to find out if we still have permits available.

How is it decided who will receive a Premium or Regular Resident Permit and who will receive a Remote Lot Resident Permit?

During the first few weeks of July, all of the students who are signed up with Residence Life to live in a residence hall for the next academic year will be sent information in the mail and/or email about applying for a resident parking permit.  Each student who would like a permit is required to return the permit card so we receive it by July 31 or complete the online form by July 31 to be included in the lottery.  The requests that are received in our office by the deadline date are sorted by the number of credits the student has already completed.  Graduate students and seniors will receive permits first, then juniors, etc.  Permits for reserved and Regular Resident first followed by remote lot permits.  The first class that we don’t have enough Regular Resident Permits to give to EVERYONE in that class then goes into the lottery.  The remaining Regular Resident Permits are given out by lottery.  The rest of the students are assigned a Remote Lot Resident Permit, as long as there are enough permits available.

Is it true I can park on campus during the weekends for free, without a permit, and not receive a parking ticket?

YES, as long as you are parked in a legal, non-reserved space, you may park in any University lot between 4 p.m. Friday until 6 a.m. Monday without a valid permit or paying a parking meter or pay station.  However, do not park in fire lanes or reserved spaces.  Please be aware that enforcement will resume promptly at 6 a.m. on Monday morning.

I have a guest coming to visit me on campus.  Where can my guest park?

Visitors can purchase a daily (valid 6 a.m. – midnight) parking permit for $3.00 per day at the Parking Services office or University Books & More.  For overnight parking, visitors may purchase an overnight visitor permit at the Parking Services office for $7.00 per night.  Based on Residence Life policy, a visitor staying as a guest in a residence hall may only purchase parking for two consecutive nights.  The overnight visitor permit will only be valid in the High Avenue Parking Ramp on level one in a non-reserved space until 9 a.m. the following day.   Please remember to bring along the vehicle make and color when purchasing any permit.  Alternately, a person may pay at a pay station in the ramp at the rate of $1.00 per hour.

Document Actions
by Hartel, Dana L last modified Jul 08, 2015 11:01 AM
Shuttle Map

Faculty and staff:  Permits for the 2015-2016 year are available for purchase.  If you have any questions, please contact us at or 920-424-4455.

Commuter students:  Permits for the 2015-2016 year are available for purchase.  Be sure to check out our new Monday/Wednesday/Friday, Tuesday/Thursday, and Shuttle permit options if those apply to you.  Simply stop in our office to purchase your permit.  If you have any questions, please contact our office at or 920-424-4455.

Students who are living in a residence hall:   Permits for the 2015-2016 year: Permits are SOLD OUT.  If you wish to be placed on a waiting list, please check out the permit options on this website and email us at with the permit types you request.  We are also aware of off-campus options, so email us if you would like information on those options.

If you have any questions, please contact our office at or 920-424-4455.