When the Oshkosh State Normal School was constructed on the site of the Kellogg farm in 1870, there was little development in the surrounding area. Soon many prosperous individuals would begin to build grand homes around the campus, leaving little room for the future expansion of the campus. To meet the demands of increasing enrollment, the university began to purchase these homes as early as 1911, initially using them for classrooms, offices, and dormitories, but the desire for more modern buildings often resulted in their sacrifice. During the 1960s, when the majority of expansion took place, many stately homes were demolished or relocated to make way for new dormitories and education buildings. Today, only three of the historic homes purchased by the University remain standing to serve as a reminder that the University’s expansion came at a price. To remember those houses that have been sacrificed and to celebrate those that are still standing, the University Archives at the Polk Library offers this ‘house tour.’

 

click here to go on tour