Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools
You are here: Home / Study & Intern Abroad/Away / 2 - Fund My Study Away / Financial Aid

Financial Aid

Is Financial Aid Available for Study Away?

Financial Aid & UW System Grants for study away may be available to you, but you must apply when you apply to study away. Remember that your need increases when your expenses for the semester increase, so even if you are not currently receiving financial aid you may want to consider applying for it for the academic year during which you plan to study away (the summer session occurs at the beginning of the academic year).

Financial Aid for study away is determined in the same way as it is determined when attending classes on campus, with the exception that the additional costs of studying away are incorporated into your budget. Grants and loans that would normally be available to you as a student at UW Oshkosh and additional Stafford loans may be available to you for study away if you have not already used your program maximums for the year. PLUS loans for parents and alternative loans may also be available.


Are Grants or Scholarships Available for Study Away?

There are UW System Grants for Study Abroad available through the Financial Aid Office; there are no such grants specifically for study away in the U.S.

Eligible students are study abroad applicants who are Wisconsin residents and full-time undergraduates with demonstrated need. See the section on applying for Financial Aid above.

In addition, there are scholarships available for study abroad, but you have to search for them. Very few scholarships are available to students who want to study during interim periods. The majority of scholarships are for specific programs, specific areas of study or specific regions of the world.


How Do I Apply for Study Away Financial Aid? (UWO students only)

UW Oshkosh-sponsored programs

  1. File the FAFSA for the appropriate year (summer starts the academic year).
  2. Answer the financial aid questions on the study away application.
  3. FOR WISCONSIN RESIDENTS studying ABROAD: Apply for the State of Wisconsin Travel Grant.
  4. FOR SUMMER ONLY: Complete the Summer Financial Aid Application (becomes available in early April).
  5. If necessary, meet with a Financial Aid Counselor to discuss your aid package.
  6. Accept your financial aid award.
  7. Submit the Notice of Financial Aid Award for Study Away to Student Accounts.

Non-UW Oshkosh-sponsored programs

  1. File the FAFSA for the appropriate year (summer starts the academic year).
    • List UW Oshkosh as the institution to which you want your FAFSA information sent; Financial Aid will be awarded through UW Oshkosh.
  2. Complete the Study Away Financial Aid Application.
  3. FOR WISCONSIN RESIDENTS studying ABROAD: Apply for the State of Wisconsin Travel Grant.
  4. FOR SUMMER ONLY: Complete the Summer Financial Aid Application (becomes available in early April).
  5. Complete a Financial Aid Contractual Agreement.
  6. Meet with a Financial Aid Counselor to discuss your aid package.
  7. Accept your financial aid award.


How Do I Apply for Aid if I am Not a UW Oshkosh Student?

If you are not a student at UW Oshkosh, you must apply for Financial Aid on your home campus. In this case, do not include answers to financial aid questions on your application to the OIE, but do make sure that you apply for aid far enough in advance to meet the UW Oshkosh payment deadlines.

The OIE recommends that you apply for aid on your home campus BEFORE applying to study abroad through UW Oshkosh if you need the aid in order to study away.

Your financial aid office will need to send a consortium agreement to UW Oshkosh in order to release your financial aid to you. You can send this agreement either directly to the OIE with your study away application or to our financial aid office at

Financial Aid Office
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
800 Algoma Blvd
Oshkosh, WI 54901


Do I Need an Appointment to Meet with a Financial Aid Counselor?

Yes, you will want to contact our Financial Aid Liaison Bao Vue at to set up an appointment. You can also visit the Financial Aid Office (Dempsey 104) during their walk-in hours, Monday through Friday from 10am-3pm. You should visit (or schedule your appointment for) no fewer than two weeks prior to the study away application deadline.

Be prepared for your meeting.  Students who have carefully read ALL available information related to financial aid for study away, arrive prepared to ask questions not already answered in the written materials, follow through after their financial aid meetings and mark important deadlines in their calendars find the process to be smooth and efficient.  Students who have not read the materials and arrive unprepared, do not follow through in a timely manner after their financial aid meetings and do not mark important deadlines in their calendars may find the process frustrating.


What If I Do Not Plan to Study Away Unless I Receive Financial Aid?

If you do not plan to study away unless you receive Financial Aid, you should check the "HOLD" box on your study away application. Checking this box allows you to later withdraw your study away application without losing the application fee (the fee will be returned to you if you do not receive sufficient financial aid; the fee will not be returned to you if you withdraw for any other reason).

Placing a Financial Aid HOLD on your application also means that the OIE will not reserve a seat for you on your study away program of choice until you have released the HOLD. Once you are satisfied that you will receive enough aid to cover expenses, you can release the HOLD by filling out the ”Withdrawal & Refund Policy for Participation on UW Oshkosh-Sponsored Faculty-Led Programs Abroad” provided in the study away application and returning it to the OIE in Dempsey 202.


Will the Application Fee Be Figured in to My Financial Aid Package?

Yes, the application fee will be figured in to your costs for financial aid purposes. However, because your financial aid won't process until long after you've been accepted into your program, you will need to cover this fee up front first. If you are unable to cover the fee up front, please visit the Financial Aid Office to request information on Tetzlaff loans. These are short-term loans that can be used to cover the study away application fee. You must request your Tetzlaff loan no fewer than three days prior to your study away application deadline! They take a minimum of 48 hours to process. Please note that these loans are only available between the first day of the semester and the third UW Oshkosh tuition payment deadline.


How Much and What Type of Aid Am I Eligible For?

IF you have remaining Stafford Loan eligibility for the academic year in which you plan to study away, you may be eligible for additional Stafford Loan depending on your remaining eligibility. For example, if you are a freshman dependent student your maximum Stafford Loan eligibility for one academic year is $5,500. If you have already borrowed that amount for the Fall and Spring semesters, you do not have any remaining Stafford Loan eligibility. Sophomore Stafford limit is $6,500 and Junior/Senior limit is $7,500. If you are an independent student you can borrow additional unsubsidized loans. (This information is current as of spring 2016.)

If you are studying ABROAD and are eligible, you can apply for the State of Wisconsin Travel Grant. The maximum study abroad grant is approximately $750 for a short-term or summer program and $1,000 for semester-long programs, but could be less. Grants are awarded based on need. (This information is current as of spring 2016.)

If you need additional aid after using any remaining Stafford Loan eligibility and, if eligible, the Study Abroad Grant, then you will need to consider the option of a Parent Loan or an Alternative Loan. Parent Loans or Alternative Loans will be offered as options for you to consider. If you decide to apply for either of these loans there is additional paperwork that will need to be completed. Information on applying for an alternative loan is available in the Financial Aid Office.


When Will I Receive My Financial Aid Award Notice?

Fall and Spring Semesters (including interims)
Initial awards for aid for on-campus study are processed in mid-April of the prior academic year. After you have applied to study away you will receive an updated award with adjustments for study away. You will not receive your updated award until after the study away application deadline.

Awards for aid for on-campus study and study away during the summer are processed in mid-May (just a month or so before summer study away programs begin). Awards for summer programs cannot be processed until after students have committed to summer study away programs. For summer programs, the financial aid office offers aid package estimates in advance of processing awards. Students who need an aid package estimate must make an appointment to see a financial aid advisor. Students need to be earning at least 4 credits during the summer term in order to qualify for aid.


What Is Included in My Financial Aid Award?

Awards which have been updated to include aid for study away also include all other aid that you are receiving for the entire academic year. If you are not sure how much aid has been allocated for study away, contact the Financial Aid Office for clarification.


When Will I Receive My Financial Aid Award?

Until about one month prior to the final study away fee payment deadline, program fees are still tentative. This is because final fees depend on the exchange rate at the time that the program actually occurs and, for group programs, on the final number of students participating. Financial Aid is paid in one lump sum (rather than in installments).  It may be transferred to your account before study away fees have been added, in which case you will need to save any change check you may receive to pay your fees at a later date.  Likewise, it may not be transferred to your student account to pay any of your study away fees until after the final payment deadline.

Financial Aid awards cannot legally be paid out until the beginning of the UW Oshkosh term during which a study away program takes place (Pell Grants must be held for an additional two weeks before they can legally be paid out). If you will be leaving on your program before the UW Oshkosh term begins, you will need to make arrangements with the Cashier's Office to complete paperwork to have your money disbursed into a personal bank account or, if you don’t have a bank account, to allow someone other than yourself to receive your financial aid change check on your behalf.

The earliest date on which you can expect financial aid money to be available AT UW OSHKOSH is on the first day of classes (Pell Grants will not be available until two weeks later). Check in the Student Accounts office for the exact dates. If you request that your funds be directly deposited to your bank account or mailed to an address in the U.S., you should expect a delay of 3-7 days before you will have access to your funds.

Direct Deposit to a Bank Account

To have your funds deposited directly to your bank account after your check arrives at the University, log onto TitanWeb, select "Finances", and select "Direct Deposit" in the column on the left. Select "Direct Deposit" again. (ALERT: If your Pop-up Lock is on, you will not be able to select "Direct Deposit" a second time. Turn off your Pop-up Lock and then select "Direct Deposit".) Then, select "continue" and follow the instructions to enter your bank routing number and bank account number. Be sure to print a confirmation page for your records. Complete this process BEFORE YOU LEAVE. Call Student Accounts at 920-424-1332 if you have questions.

Release Form 

If you choose to have your change check direct deposited or mailed, you will also want to complete a "Release" form to allow someone other than yourself to access information related to your financial aid and student account in the case that, for example, it does not arrive on schedule or the forwarded amount is incorrect. You must request this form IN PERSON from the Student Affairs office in Dempsey 148.

Non-UW Oshkosh Students 

If you are not a UW Oshkosh student but are using financial aid from your own institution, be sure you check with your financial aid office/student accounts office to find out how & when your funds will be disbursed.


How Do I Apply My Financial Aid Award to My Study Away Fees?

If you are studying abroad through a UW Oshkosh-sponsored study away program and you are a UW Oshkosh student, your financial aid will automatically be applied toward study away-related fees on your student account at UW Oshkosh. If you are a student elsewhere, you will need to pick up a change check from your home campus, cash the check, and send payment to UW Oshkosh.

Group Programs (applies to UW Oshkosh and non-UW Oshkosh students)

Students paying all program fees with financial aid must turn in a Notice of Financial Aid Award for Study Abroad form directly to Student Accounts in place of payment by the first payment deadline.

Students who plan to cover some costs on their own and remaining costs using financial aid must make their payment by the first payment deadline. They must also turn in a Notice of Financial Aid Award for Study Abroad form directly to Student Accounts by the first payment deadline (or by the second payment deadline if they have covered the first payment in full).

Once your "Notice of Financial Aid Award for Study Abroad" form has been filed, a "positive service indicator" will appear on your record indicating that financial aid will be paying your study abroad program fees.  This should not prevent you from doing anything except printing transcripts.

Non UW Oshkosh-sponsored programs

Your financial aid award will be transferred to your student account rather than to your program provider or host school. You will be able to pick up a change check from the cashier's office, after which you are responsible for making payments to cover study abroad fees and associated costs.


How Do I Access Loans/Grants that Exceed Costs Billed by UWO?

At times, the amount awarded in loans and/or grants exceeds the costs directly billed by the University. This may happen if housing costs, passport costs, meal costs, etc. are not included in fees paid to UW Oshkosh for your study away program or if you are participating on a non-UW Oshkosh-sponsored program. Loan and/or grant money which exceeds costs billed by UW Oshkosh will be available at the cashier's office in the form of a change check.

There are times when your change check may not be available before you leave for your study away program. If arrangements are not made in advance, the money you receive may be withdrawn from your student account and may be lost permanently. See "When will I receive my financial aid award?" above for details.

At other times you will receive a change check even though you have not paid all of your study away fees. This occurs when financial aid is processed before the OIE has added the final program fee to your student account. In this case, take your change check from the cashier's office to student accounts. You will be able to apply the change check to your "future" study abroad fees if you indicate that this is what you would like to do.


If I Am Not Enrolled Full-time over the Semester, Will This Affect Past Loans/My Ability to Qualify for Aid?

This is relevant for non-UWO sponsored programs only.

Ability to Qualify for Financial Aid

If you will NOT be enrolled in UW OSHKOSH COURSES while away and you plan to receive Financial Aid for your study away experience, you will need to show in advance that you plan to transfer at least twelve credits back to UW Oshkosh at the end of your program away.

Past Loans

Information on your enrollment status is automatically extracted from UW Oshkosh records and sent to a Clearinghouse which is used by loan and insurance companies which provide services based on student status. You will show up in the Clearinghouse as “not enrolled” or "enrolled part-time" AT UW OSHKOSH. If you are not enrolled for full-time credit at an accredited U.S. institution elsewhere, your loans may come due. (Your insurance company may also consider you ineligible for insurance if you are on a parent's plan which requires you to maintain full-time student status.)

To avoid having loans come due, contact your loan company before leaving to study away to request an “IN-SCHOOL DEFERMENT REQUEST” form.  Complete sections I, II and III of this form and send it to the Registrar's Office at UW Oshkosh for completion of section IV.

To avoid losing your health insurance, contact your insurance company before leaving to study away to inquire about their process for verifying your enrollment.


I've Received Notice that My Loans Are Due. Is this Correct?

UW Oshkosh-sponsored programs

If you have maintained full-time enrollment during your program away and there are no other extenuating circumstances, this may be a mistake. Please contact the Office of International Education and/or the Financial Aid Office for more information.

Non-UW Oshkosh-sponsored programs

See Past Loans above.


I've Received Notice that I Am Not Making Satisfactory Academic Progress and Am No Longer Eligible for Aid. Is this Correct?

UW Oshkosh-sponsored programs

The Financial Aid Office runs a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) report at the start of each semester to ensure that students on financial aid are making Satisfactory Academic Progress. This report captures your full-time placeholder course enrollment as "credits attempted" but can't capture "credits earned" during your study away experience because these are transferred in after the report is run. While staff in the Financial Aid Office do try to identify all students in placeholder courses to remove them from the list, the process is done by hand. If there are no other extenuating circumstances, you may be on the list even while making SAP and may receive a letter. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

Non-UW Oshkosh-sponsored programs

Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.


Who Should I Contact If I Have Questions about Aid for Study Away?

If you are a UW Oshkosh student, contact the UW Oshkosh Financial Aid Office at (920) 424-3377. If you are not a UW Oshkosh student, contact the Financial Aid office on your home campus.

Contact Us

Office of International Education
Dempsey Hall, Room 202
General: Hessen, Germany: National Student Exchange: Phone: (920) 424-0775 · Fax: (920) 424-0185
Hours: M-F  7:45am - 4:30pm 

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Instagram 

Global Scholar.jpg

The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh — Where Excellence and Opportunity Meet.