UW Oshkosh


University of Wisconsin Oshkosh (UWO)

Office of International Education (OIE)

FINANCIAL AID & FEES: National Student Exchange (NSE)


Deadlines: NSE and Financial Aid Applications

Applications for placement to study at a NSE member institution will be accepted through the 2nd Friday in February. Because NSE coordinators will place students in early March each year, students who miss the application deadline will not be placed at this conference, and must then meet with the UW Oshkosh NSE Coordinator to consider post conference placement opportunities.

February 2nd, 2018 (noon) – Your NSE Application must be completed (Steps I & II) by this date. As soon as possible after January 1, file your FAFSA--indicating UW Oshkosh as your home campus. Do NOT put any other institution in your FAFSA.

February 9th, 2018 (noon) – Your NSE Application must be completed (Step III) by this date.

Financial Aid & Grants

Is financial aid available for NSE?

Financial Aid may be available to you but you must apply using the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) or FAFSA on the Web at www.fafsa.ed.gov for the school year during which you wish to be considered for financial aid. Remember that your need increases when your expenses for the semester increase so, even if you are not currently receiving financial aid, you may want to consider applying for it for the academic year during which you plan to study away through NSE. Financial aid for study through NSE is determined in the same way as it is determined when attending classes on campus with the exception that the additional costs of studying away are incorporated into your budget and disbursement dates may be adjusted. Financial aid that you would normally receive as a UW Oshkosh student--and additional Stafford loans if you have not already used your program maximums for the year--will be available to you. PLUS loans for parents and alternative loans may also be available.

How do I apply for financial aid?

In order to apply for financial aid, you must:

  1. File the FAFSA for the appropriate academic year. The summer session begins the academic year. A paper copy of this form can be picked up from the Financial Aid Office, or fill out the FAFSA on line at --click on Apply for Financial Aid at www.fafsa.ed.gov
  2. Make an appointment with Ashley Hass, who is the Financial Aid liaison to the OIE
  3. If you plan to study away through NSE and wait until the week of the NSE application deadline to turn in your forms, you will not know your financial aid status until AFTER the application deadline. If you are counting on financial aid in order to study through NSE and you ask us to HOLD your application pending financial aid, your application will be incomplete and therefore not considered for placement by NSE coordinators at the early March conference. If you NEED financial aid in order to participate, you should turn in your NSE application as soon as possible after January 1st. NOTE: If you plan to receive Financial Aid for your study away through NSE, you must show in advance that you plan to transfer at least twelve credits back to UW Oshkosh at the end of each semester (maximum two) you study at a NSE host institution

Will the non-refundable NSE application fee be figured in to my costs for financial aid purposes?

Yes. The non-refundable fee will be figured into your costs for financial aid purposes.

When will I receive my financial aid award?

Awards cannot legally be paid out until the beginning of the semester during which you study away through NSE.

How can I apply my award to my study abroad program fees?

If you study away through NSE, your financial aid will automatically be applied toward your UW Oshkosh tuition and student fees on your student account at UW Oshkosh. If you are awarded Financial Aid and the award will cover all of the UW Oshkosh tuition and student fees due for your study away at an NSE institution, you will not need to make any payments toward your UW Oshkosh tuition and student fees and you can ignore OIE payment deadlines. If the award will not cover all of the UW Oshkosh tuition and student fees due for your study away program, you will need to pay the difference between the cost of tuition and fees and your financial aid award by the UW Oshkosh payment deadline.

Are scholarships available for study away through NSE?

Some businesses, organizations and agencies award scholarships for specific areas of study or specific regions of the world. Start your scholarship search here.

How do I access financial aid that exceed costs billed by the University?

The amount awarded in financial may exceed the costs directly billed by the University. In this case, you will need to make arrangements with the Cashier's Office to have this money direct deposited into a personal bank account so that you have access to it at the host campus. To have your funds deposited directly to your bank account after your check arrives at the University, log onto TitanWeb, select "Finances", select "Direct Deposit", select "Direct Deposit" again (in the column on the left), select "continue" and then follow the instructions to enter your bank routing number and bank account number. Be sure to print a confirmation page for your records. Complete this process BEFORE YOU LEAVE. Call Student Accounts at 920-424-1332 if you have questions.

Who should I contact if I have questions about financial aid for NSE study?

If you are a UW Oshkosh student, the Financial Aid Office at UW Oshkosh at (920) 424-3377 or at fao@uwosh.edu

Fees & Payments

May I pay NSE fees by credit card?

No. However, you may use one of the paper checks which credit card companies often issue to customers periodically to pay your UW Oshkosh tuition and student fees. Be aware that there is usually a charge by the credit card company that will be billed to you (often 3%). Limits to this charge are often in the range of $25 to $50, i.e., if you write a check against your credit card for $1000 and the added charge is 3% or $30, your total bill will be $1,030.

Will I receive an invoice, or do I need to remember the payment deadlines on my own?

You will be billed for tuition and student fees at UW Oshkosh just before the semester at UW Oshkosh begins, just as you normally are billed while in residence. It is your responsibility to make additional payments according to the payment deadlines on your hosting campus.

Who should I make my check payable to?

Make checks payable to The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh.

Where should I pay my study away fees?

The check for your application fee must be paid at the Cashier's Office, located on the second floor in Dempsey Hall. The check must accompany the deposit slip that is a part of the NSE application. Your application is incomplete without proof (receipt) of the paid application fee.

Your program fees are assessed once per semester and may also be paid at the Cashier's Office. Program fees are listed in detail on the Estimated Full Cost of Participation Worksheet (on the Application page), however will include a $475 program fee + monthly insurance charge.

Your UW Oshkosh tuition and student fees, including the application fee, must be paid at the Cashier's Office on the second floor of Dempsey. To mail payments, use the following address: Cashier's Office, UW Oshkosh, 800 Algoma Blvd., Oshkosh, WI 54901.


Personal Health Insurance Plan

Sickness and accident coverage for you while you study outside Wisconsin may be included in your personal health insurance plan. Most insurance companies require you to be a full-time student in order to stay on your parents’ health insurance policy. If you are not enrolled in classes at UW Oshkosh for a full semester (i.e., you are transferring credits back to UW Oshkosh at the end of your study at a NSE host institution), and you are not enrolled for full-time credit through the NSE host institution, this may affect your eligibility to remain on your parents' insurance. You will, however, be expelled by the NSE host institution if you drop below 12 credits. Information on your enrollment status is automatically extracted from UW Oshkosh records and sent to a Clearinghouse, which many insurance companies monitor. You will show up in the Clearinghouse as “not enrolled” at UW Oshkosh since you are not enrolled for courses AT UW OSHKOSH, and your eligibility may be affected.

In order to avoid problems, contact your insurance company BEFORE leaving for your study destination. Your insurance company will either give you a form or a list of information that they need. You can fax this form/list to the NSE host institution for verification of full-time status while studying there; we recommend that you work through the host institution NSE coordinator.

Required UW Health Insurance

All students who participate in UW sponsored programs are required to be covered through Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). This insurance coverage will be added to your program fee of $475 and will be based on the number of months you are required at the host institution for your semester exchange. For example, if you are studying away for one (1) semester, which is typically four (4) months, your Program Fee would be $475 + 4(CISI monthly charge). The monthly rate is determined by the UW System contract with CISI.

Other types of Insurance

Some NSE institutions may also require you to purchase local student health insurance through the university or college. This requirement, if applicable, is available on-line at www.nse.org under institutional information for campuses that require this additional health insurance.



Contact Information

Who can I contact for more information?

For questions related to the NSE, stop at the Office of International Education in Dempsey 202, email nse@uwosh.edu, or call 424-0775.


This page was updated on August 22nd, 2017