UW Oshkosh


University of Wisconsin Oshkosh (UWO)

Office of International Education (OIE)

APPLICATION: National Student Exchange (NSE)


Deadlines: NSE and Financial Aid Applications

Applications for placement to study at a NSE member institution will be accepted through the 2nd Friday in February. Because NSE coordinators will place students in early March each year, students who miss the application deadline will not be placed at this conference, and must then meet with the UW Oshkosh NSE Coordinator to consider post conference placement opportunities.

February 2nd, 2018 (noon) – Your NSE Application must be completed (Steps I & II) by this date. As soon as possible after January 1, file your FAFSA--indicating UW Oshkosh as your home campus. Do NOT put any other institution in your FAFSA.

February 9th, 2018 (noon) – Your NSE Application must be completed (Step III) by this date.

Application Process

  1. Visit the NSE Web site www.nse.org and select “Student” for detailed information on each campus and a list of frequently asked questions
  2. Study the NSE Directory, available in the UW Oshkosh Office of International Education, located in Dempsey Hall room 202--remember to only look at PLAN B
  3. Attend an Explore! or Information session. This will give you the opportunity to hear about the program and/or the application process for NSE and receive information about how to apply financial aid. The information session is not mandatory, but is highly recommended
  4. Apply to program through the UW Oshkosh NSE coordinator, whose office is in the Office of International Education, located in Dempsey Hall 202. The following are required to complete the application process

Step I - Read me, I am in RED for a reason!!

    • Complete the on-line study abroad/away application
      • Be aware that the application will time out without warning! Save often, and if you answering the longer questions we recommend typing them into a Word document and pasting them in to the online application
      • Be sure to enter your Driver's License information, in place of your passport if you are staying within the US and US territories
      • Be sure to enter EXT STDS 083 where it asks for what "Course" you will be taking while away. This is a 1 course, 12 credit placeholder to maintain your full-time student status while you are on exchange
      • All your Orientation information is located in the "Orientation tab on the left menu above

Step II

Click on each link below. Print, READ, complete, and submit each form to the OIE front desk.

    • UW Oshkosh:application packet
      • A $200 (in-state) or $300 (out-of-state) application fee made out to "UW Oshkosh" with the deposit slip in the link above
      • Please note there is a $100 LATE FEE if you apply for a post-conference (after the February deadline) placement: Late deposit slip
    • NSE Application packet: NSE Program Application
    • A 500-word statement expressing your goals for going on exchange (this is provided for you on page 3 of the NSE application from above)
    • A Course "WISH" List for EVERY school you intend to apply to
    • An up-to-date copy (a printout from TitanWeb is acceptable) of your University Transcript
    • Two references (print and use these)
    • Transfer Credit Policy
    • A Language Proficieny Report if studying in Quebec (French) or Puerto Rico (Spanish)
    • Contact the NSE Coordinator at nse@uwosh.edu for a meeting

Step III

    • Edit the "medical" and "medical III" sections of your on-line study abroad application to ensure that every question is complete. Each and every question must be answered, even if the answer is obviously "none" or "n/a"!
    • Estimated Full Cost of Participation worksheet for EVERY school you intend to apply to
    • A copy of your passport (photo page only) if you are seeking placement in Canada
    • A $475 plus monthly insurance NSE Program fee will be billed to your student account after your application is completed. The $475 fee is NOT refundable, even if you withdraw the application before placement (acceptance by the host institution), or if you later decline placement (acceptance by the host institution)



  • Sign THREE (3) original Placement Agreement Forms (PAF) and turn in by March 16th, 2018 (noon)
  • Convert your Placement school's Course Worksheet into a signed Academic Advising Agreement (AAA) form (refer to "Credit Transfer" section below for instructions) by March 30th, 2018 (noon)


Credit Transfer

READ THIS SECTION CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU BEGIN THE APPROVAL PROCESS. If you intend to study at a NSE member institution you must follow the steps below in order to receive transfer credit for courses taken at the host institution. This process has been set up to serve you, UW Oshkosh, and the host institution. If you follow these directions, you will successfully arrange transfer credit before you enroll in courses at the host campus.

Step 1 – Begin this process while you are selecting the institutions you intend to list as your top choices on the NSE application. Every institution in NSE has an online link to its catalog or bulletin that lists and describes all courses offered for credit.

Please complete a full set of the Courses Work sheet for each institution you intend to apply, here you may find the 1st page and 2nd page.

As part of your application process, you must fill out a Course Worksheet—or “Wish List” for every school you intend to apply to.  If you pick two institutions, you must fill out a Course Worksheet for EACH school.  If you list six schools, you have to make six course lists.

Each Course Worksheet must be created from your HOST institution’s course list/bulletin and must include the following information: 

Course name
Course number
Course description*

*Save this information somewhere (i.e., Word document, Google Doc, email, etc.) as you will need it in the future. 

Additionally, you must create a list of DOUBLE the number of classes you intend to take while on exchange.  Use the link provided on the campus profile page found on the NSE website.

For example:  You want to apply to the University of Idaho (UI).  Your first Course Worksheet will be a list of UI classes that you want to take.  You are planning on taking 12 credits while you are on exchange—so your list will have a minimum of 24 credits you are eligible and interested in registering for.

You must make a Course Worksheet for every school you are including in your NSE application—and you can have more than 24 credits per sheet.  You want to list any and every class from their bulletin that you are interested and eligible to take.

The Courses Work sheet helps you record all the essential information you will need BEFORE YOU MEET WITH ADVISERS who will then help you document an approved list for transfer credit to UW Oshkosh of courses you intend to enroll in and complete at the host institution. Fill out one Courses Work sheet for each institution you wish to consider for placement, and make sure to choose MORE courses than you think you might need. As not every university will allow you to enroll in classes at the same time, you may find that courses you need have already filled or been canceled that semester- so have many to choose from!

Step 2 – After you have completed the Courses Work sheets and BEFORE YOU MEET WITH ADVISERS, make an appointment with the NSE coordinator (for signatures on each Courses Work sheet).

Step 3 – Steps 1 and 2 must be completed before you seek prior approval for your courses and credit transfers, and ideally before the spring placement conference. This process will prevent misunderstandings later, and you will be confident that all the courses approved by UW Oshkosh for you to enroll in will transfer in specific categories within your degree program. AFTER THE NSE COORDINATOR SIGNS THE COURSES WORK SHEETS, CONTINUE WITH THE STEPS THAT APPLY TO YOU.


Step 4 – COURSES IN THE MAJOR: If you intend to enroll in courses in your major at the host institution, you must receive a signature from the department chairperson of your major confirming the equivalency of each course in your major you are planning to transfer to UW Oshkosh and count toward your degree program in your major department. Make an appointment with the department chairperson of your major before you meet with an academic adviser in the Undergraduate Advisement Resource Center (UARC) in the Student Success Center (SSC). You will need to supply course descriptions (on the Courses Work sheets) to the department chairperson so that s/he can determine a UW Oshkosh course equivalent. If you do not intend to enroll in courses in your major at the host institution, you may skip Step 4. However, if later you change your mind, you must complete Step 4, and then you may have to complete subsequent steps.

Step 5 – APPROVAL OF NON-MAJOR COURSES. Make an appointment with an academic adviser the Undergraduate Advisement Resource Center, in the Student Success Center if you DO NOT INTEND to enroll in courses in your major at the host institution. Before the meeting pick up a copy of the Transfer Credit Prior Approval form and take the form to your appointment in the Admissions office in Dempsey 135.

Step 6 – APPROVAL OF MAJOR COURSES. After the department chairperson has approved (by signature on the Courses Work sheets) the course equivalencies, make an appointment with an academic adviser in the Undergraduate Advisement Resource Center in the Student Success Center. Before the meeting pick up a copy of the Transfer Credit Prior Approval form, and take the form to your appointment.

Step 7 – APPROVAL OF TRANSFER CREDIT. Bring the Courses Work sheets and the Transfer Credit Prior Approval form (see link in Step 6) to meet with the adviser. Your adviser will help you properly categorize course selections so that appropriate courses satisfy requirements of your degree program. You will want to discuss how the NSE study experience will fit into your current academic studies, any implications it may have regarding your graduation date, the types of courses that may be reasonable for you to attempt at another institution, and the timing within your degree program of study. Is fall semester better than spring? Is sophomore year better than junior year? Before going to your adviser it is your obligation to read the host university or college catalog or bulletin; all are available online through links at www.nse.org, and you must record all course information on the Courses Work sheets Your adviser must sign the Courses Work sheets. STEPS 1—7 (THOSE THAT APPLY TO YOU) MUST BE COMPLETED THE 3RD FRIDAY IN FEBRUARY.


Step 8 – FINAL APPROVAL OF TRANSFER CREDIT. After you are informed by the NSE coordinator that you have been placed at a host campus (by mid-March) you must obtain transfer credit approval by completing the ADVISING AGREEMENT APPLICATION (AAA). Make an appointment with the academic adviser in the Undergraduate Advisement Resource Center in the Student Success Center who helped you to explore preliminary approval for transfer credit. After meeting with the adviser, submit the singed Advising Agreement Application to the transfer student coordinator in the Admissions office (Dempsey 135). A copy of the completed form will be sent to the Undergraduate Academic Advising Center, NSE coordinator’s office, and to you for your records. KEEP THIS APPROVAL DOCUMENT.

Generally, credits taken at accredited universities and colleges in the United States are transferable. Credits taken through programs that are independent of other accredited universities or colleges in the United States may not be transferable.

At the end of this process, you should have answered these questions:

  • Will courses I am interested in taking transfer as requirements toward my major or minor?
  • Can I be flexible with my courses on exchange?   If not, consider getting more courses approved to ensure full time status.  
  • Will courses transfer to fulfill general education requirements? * Will courses transfer to fulfill other program, department, or college-specific requirements?
  • Will courses transfer as electives?
  • Will I receive the correct number of credits per course so that I do not have too few credits toward a particular requirement for my major, minor, general education, or licensing coursework needed to graduate?
  • Will I receive enough credits to be considered full-time for financial aid and health insurance purposes? REMEMBER: YOU MUST ENROLL FULLTIME AND REMAIN ENROLLED FULLTIME AT THE HOST INSTITUTION.

What credits can I earn if I study at a NSE institution?

Your proposed list of courses must be approved prior to and as a part of the placement process. Before you proceed, please read and sign the Transfer Credit Policy sheet. This process is your obligation and takes time. Your placement at the host campus is not official until you have obtained the required signatures from advisers.

It is your obligation to study carefully course offerings of all institutions you hope to enroll in. Start weeks before the application deadline.

You will need approval from three separate sources: 1) your college academic adviser (signature), 2) your department chairperson (signature) if the courses are to be applied to your major, and 3) the Transfer Student Coordinator in Admissions, in Dempsey Hall.

When you are accepted (placed) at the host institution you must complete and sign a Placement Acceptance Form, and final course transfer agreement. The NSE coordinator will work with you at this point.

To complete this process successfully, your most important obligation is to obtain a signed copy of the Academic Advisement Agreement, provided by the NSE Coordinator. You must provide full and accurate course information to your advisers and the Transfer Student Coordinator so that they can promptly advise and assist you.

At the end of the exchange experience, students will be required to provide an official transcript from the host institution to UW Oshkosh. Course credits and grades will then be transferred to UW Oshkosh. If you do not pay your remaining balance at your hosting institution, your transcript may be withheld.

Will I be able to choose any course I want from the host institution?

You will be able to choose only courses for which you have met prerequisites. Carefully study course selections on each institution’s on-line catalog. Record exactly course numbers, titles, descriptions, and their prerequisites before you make appointments with your advisers and the Transfer Student Coordinator in Admissions. Without these details your advisers and the Transfer Student Coordinator will not be able to help you. Also, be sure to provide a copy of your transcript to your hosting institution, as proof of having met prerequisites.

What requirements can I fulfill?

General education requirements, as well as courses for your major, or other electives as approved by your academic advisors, and the transfer credit evaluator. 

Can I audit courses?

No. You must be enrolled full time in courses that will transfer to your program of study: General education requirements, degree requirements, requirements in your major or minor, or electives.

What happens when I am placed?

After you are informed of placement, you will meet with the NSE Coordinator to sign 3 copies of the PAF to confirm placement, and review necessary procedures and guidelines.

1 copy will be sent to your host coordinator, who will then forward enrollment materials that usually include:

  • A housing application
  • A host-campus admissions form
  • Registration information.

All forms must be completed and returned by stated deadlines, or you will not be able to enroll in classes and the host institution may deny your placement.

In addition, at the end of the term preceding exchange you must have maintained all eligibility requirements applicable at the time of placement.

Finally, you must also complete a written Academic Advising Agreement. Placement will not proceed until this is signed and complete.

Passports & Visas

I intend to study in Canada; will I need a passport?

Yes. For information on the passport and visas visit the Office of International Education homepage. If you have other questions regarding passports, visit the U.S. State Department on line.

Communicating with the OIE

Why do I have to use my UW Oshkosh e-mail address when communicating with the OIE?

Once you have applied for NSE, virtually all communication from the NSE coordinator and the Office of International Education (OIE) will be done via e-mail to groups of students or to you personally. Because we send to groups, many e-mail programs send our group messages to the cyber trash without you knowing about it; as a matter of fact, you would never know. Therefore, the NSE coordinator and the OIE will only use your UW Oshkosh e-mail address. The NSE coordinator and the OIE will not accept hotmail addresses under any circumstances, nor will they respond through that environment. After you are placed at a host institution all official communication from the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, the NSE coordinator, and the Office of International Education will be through your UW Oshkosh student email account.

I've never used my UW Oshkosh email address before. How do I do this?

You can learn to use your UW Oshkosh email address through web-mail (https://webmail.uwosh.edu/). Should you have trouble accessing your account, call the Academic Computing help desk at (920) 424-3020. Do this well before your date of departure to your host campus.

Contact Information

Who can I contact for more information?

For questions related to the NSE, stop at the Office of International Education in Dempsey 202, email nse@uwosh.edu, or call 424-0775.


This page was updated on August 22, 2017