University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Office of International Education (OIE) WEB GUIDE

Seijo University

Location: outside of Tokyo, Japan
Dates: Fall: September - January; Spring: April - July
Courses: study Japanese; study in English or in Japanese
Accommodation: apartment, guest house
Program Model: Student Exchange
Contact: Dr. Yoshiro Hanai, Clow F323, 424-7271

Seijo University is a small private university with approximately 5,000 students studying in Economics, Arts and Literature, Law, and Social Innovation.

SU offers coursework in Japanese language, coursework taught in English, coursework taught bilingually (party in English and partly in Japanese) and coursework taught entirely in Japanese.

Exchange students also can join sports clubs, cultural clubs and academic associations.

Academic Coursework

airplanePointerHost Institution Enrollment

Before committing to an exchange program, applicants must spend time looking through the course selection available at the host institution. SU offers coursework in Japanese language, coursework taught in English, coursework taught bilingually (party in English and partly in Japanese) and coursework taught entirely in Japanese.

Course last either a full year (Tsunen; April - March) or a full semester (zenki kamoku/spring or koki kamoku/fall).

All exchange students study at SU either fall semester only or fall semester followed by spring semester. Since full-year courses begin in spring, students entering in fall may only enroll in select full-year courses that allow enrollment mid-way through the course.

Japanese Language
All international students must take Japanese B (Fall) and Japanese A (Spring). SU also offers a course in "Modern Spoken Japanese" over each term with the dual aim of enabling students to attain communication skills for everyday life in Japan and to acquire language skills that will help students conduct research and perform activities in their specialized fields in the future.

English and Bilingual Courses
The following courses, taught either in English or partially in English/partially in Japanese, are recommended for international students.  These courses focus on social, cultural, economic, and other issues concerning Japan from a comparative point of view. Courses are offered over both fall and spring semester and meet for 1.5 hours per week. Each is worth one credit at UW Oshkosh.

Courses in Japanese
SU offers interdisciplinary courses and courses in the colleges of Economics, Arts and Literature, Law, and Social Innovation. International students who meet Japanese language proficiency requirements and course prerequisites may apply to take courses in these areas with the approval of the SU international office and the professor.

Please refer to the online Syllabi for courses taught in Japanese. This site is in Japanese. If you open the link in "google translate", you can read the pages, for the most part, in translated English.

airplanePointerCourse and Credit Transfer

When you study abroad/away on a program which does not grant UW Oshkosh credit, you may request that your courses be transfered to UW Oshkosh at the end of your program by soliciting prior approval for course and credit transfer. Transfer without prior approval IS NOT AUTOMATIC and IS NOT GUARANTEED.

Follow the instructions on the Transfer Credit Prior Approval form to have your courses pre-approved for transfer.

airplanePointerTo Complete Your Course Transfer

Before you depart from abroad, you must request that your host institution send your transcripts directly to the Transfer Student Coordinator in the UW Oshkosh Admissions Office. Do not send your transcript to the Office of International Education. The UW Oshkosh OIE cannot request transcripts on your behalf and you cannot receive credit at UW Oshkosh without the official transcript.

Transfer Student Coordinator
Admissions Office
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
800 Algoma Blvd
Oshkosh, WI 54901

NOTE: When the Transfer Student Coordinator receives your transcipt, it will be matched to the Transfer Credit Prior Approval Form you completed during the application process for your program. If you did not take the courses you listed on your prior approval form, there is no guarantee that your courses will transfer. If you took courses which won't transfer, this will retroactively affect your full-time status as reported by UW Oshkosh and may affect your financial aid.

You should consider ordering a copy of your host institution transcripts for yourself if possible.

SU prints official transcripts ONLY IN LATE SEPTEMBER. Students who need transcripts printed earlier must request a "temporary transcript" from the International Office before departing from Japan.

All UW Oshkosh students who use financial aid MUST REQUEST THE TEMPORARY TRANSCRIPT. Without this, your UW Oshkosh records will show zero transfer credit, and your financial aid will come due.

airplanePointerDPI Study Abroad Requirement for Foreign Language Teachers

College of Education & Human Services students planning to teach a foreign language after graduation must meet the DPI requirement for study abroad and must have a completed Certificate of Residency. For more information, visit the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures Office on the third floor of Radford.

Full Estimated Cost of Participation

The "Full Estimated Cost of Participation" includes your Program Fee (the amount due directly to UW Oshkosh), your airfare and other expenses related to your participation on this program.

Full Estimated Cost of Participation:

As part of the application process for this program, you are required to review, sign and submit the "Full Estimated Cost of Participation" worksheet for your program. The worksheet includes all of the cost details for your program and is linked from STEP III of the "Apply" section of this guide.   

Accommodation & Meals


Seijo University does not have on-campus housing. Exchange students are assigned rooms at either Seijo International House, Shibata Mansion, or other residences.

Seijo International House
SU owns a guest house for visitors from abroad located 10 minutes away from Seijo University.  There are 2 studio apartments, each with a kitchenette, shower, washing machine, dryer, vacuum cleaner, heater/ air conditioner, and refrigerator. Residents pay for utilities and, if they wish to have access to the web, an internet fee.

Shibata Mansion
Shibata Mansion provides private apartments with a friendly and international atmosphere. It has multinational residents and holds various fun events like holiday parties and Japanese traditional ceremonies. There are various types of rooms with kitchenette, shower, washing machine, dryer, vacuum cleaner, heater/ air conditioner and refrigerator. The owner-family lives on the same property and takes care of its residents. A cafeteria is available with reasonable fee. Residents pay for utilities and if they wish to have access to the web, an internet fee.

Other accommodations
You may be assigned to other types of residences around Seijo. Utilities may or may not be included in these residential options.


SU does not have a meal plan but does have three pay-as-you-go cafeterias plus three convenience stores on campus. University cafeterias are open from 9:00 to 6:00 weekdays and from 9:00 to 3:00 on Saturdays. Meals cost about JPY300 - JPY500. Cafeterias are not open on Sundays or during vacation.

All student residences have a kitchenette equipped with cooking utensils and tableware. Shibata Mansion also offers two meals per day at reasonable prices.

Review the estimate for the amount of money you should bring to cover meals in the Full Cost of Participation worksheet. It is not reasonable to think that you can save money by spending less than the food estimate provided by the OIE! This estimate is meant to be the BARE MINIMUM in relation to your particular destination!


At a minimum, eligible students on student exchange and direct enroll programs have a minimum G.P.A. of 2.5, are in good standing, and may come from any academic discipline. Students who will study in a foreign language must also meet proficiency requirements as listed on each program's web page. Students with a GPA below 2.5 should contact the OIE before applying. In some cases, partners abroad will accept applicants with a slightly lower GPA. As part of the application process, your disciplinary file will be reviewed. If you have a campus disciplinary file, this will be taken into consideration when determining your eligibility.

Pre-/Post-travel Class Dates

Inability or failure to attend class prior to or following your program abroad may affect your ability to participate, course grades and/or ability to receive and use financial aid.

Application Process

airplanePointerBefore You Apply

  1. Write the deadline for completing the On-line Study Abroad Orientation - AND the date on which you must attend your Pre-departure meeting - in your calendar. Failure to complete orientation will affect your ability to participate.
  2. Write all payment deadlines in your calendar.
    If you aren't the person who will be making payments, share this information with the person who will be.
  3. Understand how seats are assigned on study abroad programs.

airplanePointerSecuring Your Place on a Study Abroad Program

Seats are assigned in the order in which qualified applicants have completed STEPS I & II of the application process, provided STEP III has also been completed by the STEP III application deadline.

This means that you may be conditionally admitted following completion of steps I & II, but NOT receive a seat if you then fail to complete STEP III on time.

If you are on the waiting list, you may receive a seat if applicants who have been conditionally admitted have not completed STEP III by the deadline.

After the deadline, seats are assigned in the order in which qualified applicants have completed all three steps.

airplanePointerApplication Deadlines

Fall Semester Programs

STEPS I & II: last Friday in February by NOON

STEP III: 1st Friday of March by NOON

Spring Semester Programs

STEPS I & II: Friday September 28th, 2018 by NOON

STEP III: Friday October 5th, 2018 by NOON

airplanePointerApplication STEPs & Application Checklist

Complete the three steps below in order, or work on all three steps simultaneously. Check off items as you SUBMIT them to the Office of International Education.

Step I
Complete the on-line study abroad/away application.

**Be aware that the application will time out without warning! Save often, and if you answering the longer questions we recommend typing them into a Word document and pasting them in to the online application.
Refer to the Orientation section for orientation dates.
Step II
Print the application packet and sign where appropriate.
Pay the UW Oshkosh application fee
( $200 for in-state residents and $300 for out-of-state residents) per the instructions in the application packet and turn in your receipt to the OIE. If you have mailed the application fee to the Cashier's Office, notify the OIE so that OIE staff can contact the Cashier's Office for confirmation.
Print an unofficial copy of your university transcript

course prerequisites (if applicable) and final GPA.

To print your unofficial transcripts:
1) Login to TitanWeb
2) Select "Transcript: View Unofficial" using the drop-down menu
3) Select "Unofficial Transcript" in the Report Type drop-down menu
4) Click "View Report"
5) The transcript will process as a PDF. This can take a few minutes. If you do not see your transcript, turn off your pop-up blocker.
6) Print
Special Student Form for Undergraduate Admissions
Complete and submit to the OIE ONLY IF you are not a student at UW Oshkosh OR if you are not a student at all.
Graduate Registration Form and Graduate Special/Non-Degree Information Form
Complete and submit to the OIE ONLY IF you are not in a Graduate program at UW Oshkosh and want to earn graduate level credit, or if you are in a Graduate program at UW Oshkosh and want to earn undergraduate level credit.
Submit the Disciplinary Clearance Form
Complete ONLY IF:

1) You are a student at a university or college OTHER THAN UW Oshkosh. Submit this form to the appropriate office on your HOME campus; request that the office on your HOME campus submit the form directly to the UW Oshkosh OIE by the deadline for this step of the application process.
2) You transferred to UW Oshkosh in the last 12 months. Submit this form to the appropriate office on the campus(es) you transferred from; request that the office on your transfer campus(es) submit the form directly to the UW Oshkosh OIE by the deadline for this step of the application process.

Program-specific Application Materials/Requirements:

Application for Seijo Exchange Program
This can be written or typed. You can also type answers in English and hand write answers in Japanese (where it's recommended). Sign the last page and submit this application to the OIE.
Transfer Credit Prior Approval form
Meet with Dr. Hanai in the Japanese Department to complete the Transfer Credit Prior Approval form. If you will take courses other than Japanese Language and Culture, these will need to be approved by the appropriate department chairs.
Application for the Certificate of Eligibility
This form is in an Excel workbook (an Excel file with multiple worksheets in it). You must answer questions (yellow highlights) on tab ONE and a second set of question (also in yellow) on tab TWO. Tabs are located at the bottom of the spreadsheet. Once completed, email the Excel file to You do not need to submit a hard copy of this document.
OPTIONAL: Click here to apply for the State of Wisconsin Travel Grant!
Step III
Review, sign and submit the
Fall Semester Full Cost of Participation
Spring Semester Full Cost of Participation
Academic Year Full Cost of Participation

Edit the "medical" and "medical III" sections of your on-line study abroad application to ensure that every question is complete. Each and every question must be answered, even if the answer is obviously "none" or "n/a"!
Provide proof of passport
Complete only if you will travel outside the U.S.

If you already have a passport
, edit the "passport" section of your on-line study abroad application to include all requested passport details.

If you do not already have a passport, apply for one and submit a copy of your receipt to the OIE showing that you have applied.

Click here for passport forms and instructions.
Edit the "passport" section of your on-line study abroad application to include your full name.

If you are traveling OUTSIDE the U.S., enter your full name EXACTLY as it appears on your passport or on your passport application.  DO NOT GUESS! 

If you are traveling WITHIN the U.S. (including Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, and the U.S. Virgin Islands), enter your name EXACTLY as it appears on your driver’s license.  DO NOT GUESS! 

Your name will be printed on your airline ticket exactly as you enter it.  If the name on your airline ticket does not match the name on your identification, you will be charged a correction fee or may not be allowed through airport security.
Program-specific Application Materials/Requirements:

Official Academic Transcript
Order your transcript on line. The OIE will send your transcript with your other application materials directly to Seijo University.
Passport Photo
Required regardless of whether or not you already have a passport. Submit 1 passport-size photo (2” x 2”) taken by a professional passport photographer. Write your name on the back of the photo prior to submitting.
Health Certificate
Have this form completed by a healthcare professional.

Step IV (post-application deadline)

Photocopy of your Passport
You must turn in a COPY of your signed passport valid for 6 months from the date of arrival in the foreign country (for short-term programs) or valid past the end date for your program abroad (long-term programs). The copy should only include the following two pages: the page with your photo on it and the page with your signature on it (the signature page is just above the page with your photo).
Prepare Your Full Application for a Japanese Student Visa
You will be given instructions on this process during your in-person orientation with the Study Away Coordinator.


Paying Your Program Fee

airplaneBulletPointFinancial Aid

Using financial aid to cover some or all of your costs? See our detailed financial aid information.

airplanePointerPayment Deadlines

Fall Semester Programs

Spring Semester Programs


airplanePointerFirst Program Fee Payment

Your emailed study abroad acceptance letter (the one that says that you have been officially accepted to participate) includes a link to a statement for your first payment. This statement will not be sent to you in any other way. No one else will receive this statement or a copy of your bill; no further reminders will be sent. It is your responsibility to make payments according to the payment deadlines; you will need to forward your statement to the person who pays your bills if you are not that person!!!

The initial Program Fee Statement is also provided here. You can use this copy or the copy included in your acceptance letter (they are identical) when paying your fees.

airplanebulletpointSecond Program Fee Payment

You will receive a link to a statement for your second payment VIA EMAIL from the Office of International Education just prior to the second payment deadline. Some programs have been advertised using a range of fees; if this is the case, you must plan to cover fees at the top end of the range until you receive your second statement. This statement will indicate whether there have been cost savings due to increased participant numbers, exchange rates, etc. and, therefore, a reduced program fee.

airplanebulletpointTuition Payment

If your program includes a required tuition payment IN ADDITION TO YOUR PROGRAM FEE, this will be clearly indicated on the Full Cost of Participation Worksheet linked within the "Apply" section of this guide.

For interim programs, follow the program fee payment deadlines ($1,000 total due by the first deadline date, the remaining tuition and program fee due by the final deadline date).

For semester & summer programs, tuition will be billed by Student Accounts just before the term at UW Oshkosh begins, just as it normally is. It is your responsibility to make payments according to the normal university tuition payment deadlines.

airplanebulletpointPayment by Cash or Check

All payments by cash or check must be accompanied by a copy of your program fee statement. Make checks payable to “The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh” and write “Study Abroad” in the memo section. Pay fees at the Cashier's Office on the second floor of Dempsey Hall or mail your check to: Cashier's Office, UW Oshkosh, 800 Algoma Blvd, Oshkosh, WI 54901. Cashier office hours: Mon – Fri 8:30-4:00 (8:30-3:00 the day after Thanksgiving).

airplanebulletpointPayment by Credit Card or E-check

Payment by MasterCard or American Express carries a 2.5% convenience fee and can be made through TitanWeb E-checks carry a fee of $0.50 per transaction.

airplanebulletpointPayment by Financial Aid, Grant, Scholarship or External Loan

Submit the "Notice of Financial Aid Award for Study Abroad" form to Student Accounts by the first payment deadline. Students who plan to to cover some costs on their own and remaining costs using financial aid, grants or scholarships must pay costs not covered by aid/loans/scholarships, up to $1,000, by the first payment deadline.

For UW Oshkosh students, financial aid will automatically be applied toward study abroad-related fees on your student account. If you are a student elsewhere, you may need to pick up your change check from your home campus, cash the check, and send payment to UW Oshkosh.

Once your "Notice of Financial Aid Award for Study Abroad" form has been submitted, a "positive service indicator" will appear on your record indicating that financial aid will be paying your study abroad program fees.  This should not prevent you from doing anything except printing transcripts.

airplanebulletpointWorking Abroad

Students may choose to work part-time (maximum 28 hours per week). Employment is not guaranteed and estimated earnings must not be included when planning a budget for this program.


Scholarships offered through UW Oshkosh and outside organizations. 


Flight & Program Schedule


Mode of transportation: participants find their own way to the U.S. departure airport


Carry approximately ¥100,000 (about 800 US$) in cash (JPY) to cover transportation fees to SU from the local airport and living costs for the first few days.

You will need to pay your first TWO MONTHS' RENT immediately upon arrival at SU (approximately ¥46,000 - ¥60,000 depending on your accommodation).


Participants arrange and pay for airline tickets on their own. DO NOT purchase these until you have been officially accepted into the program by the HOST university. Information on finding and booking airline tickets is available elsewhere in this guide.


In addition to typical immigration procedures, in Japan, immigration officials also issue RESIDENT CARDS and AUTHORIZE PART-TIME WORK.

Authorization to Engage in Part-time Work

Your student visa does not automatically allow you to work in Japan. To work, you must request special permission - first at the border when you enter Japan and later from the International Office. Failure to request permission IN BOTH PLACES could result in a violation of your student status in Japan. Complete the Application for Permission to Engage in Activity Other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted form. Have this COMPLETED form in your carry-on luggage; you will go through immigration PRIOR TO collecting your checked baggage.

From the Airport to your Residence

SU does NOT provide pick-up service from airports in Japan. SU will provide a Student Guide prior to your program which includes detailed information on travel from the airport to your specific residence.

To prepare for your journey through the airport, train station and bus station, review the information at these links. Print maps, write notes, and bring this information with you!

In-person Registration

Within 14 days of your arrival in Japan, you are required by the terms of your student visa to register at the municipal office nearest your housing. If you move while in Japan, you are required to visit the municipal office nearest your new housing (even if it's the same office) within 14 days of moving to register your new address. SU International Office staff will advise you on this process.

airplanePointerAcademic Schedule

The following periods are approximate and may be a bit different from year to year.

  Spring (1st semester) Fall (2nd semester)
Orientation early April 3rd week of September
Entrance Ceremony early April n/a
First Day of Class 2nd week of April 3rd week of September
Winter Vacation n/a late Dec to early Jan
Final Day of Class 3rd week of July mid-January
Final Exams late July late January
Commencement n/a 3rd week of March

SU provides an academic calendar that includes national holidays and, will also provide students with an orientation guide with additional information.

Visas & Residence Permits

airplanePointerVisas & Residence Permits

A visa is an endorsement or stamp placed by officials of a foreign country on a U.S. passport that makes it possible for the bearer to visit that foreign country.

Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

In order for you to secure a visa to enter Japan, your host university must first apply for a Certificate of Eligibility (COE), issued by the Ministry of Justice in Japan, on your behalf. This takes approximately two months. If your host institution does not mail the COE directly to you, the OIE will contact you to pick up the COE from the OIE, at which time you will need to apply for a visa to enter Japan.

Applying for a Japanese Visa

A US citizen with a Certificate of Eligibility must submit a number of additional documents to the Japanese Consulate in the U.S. in order to obtain a visa to enter Japan. The list of documents, along with the application procedure, is available on the web site of the Consulate General of Japan at Chicago. Instructions on how to apply for the visa will be discussed at your pre-departure meeting with the Study Away Coordinator.

Japanese immigration requires all students to prove financial support before authorizing a visa. Proof of support can be in the form of financial aid award letters, scholarship award letters, bank statements, etc.

Resident Card

Foreigners who intend to reside in Japan for more than 90 days must apply in person for a Resident Card within 14 days of arrival in Japan. Foreigners entering through a number of airports in the Tokyo area will apply for the resident card at the border. Foreigners entering through other airports will apply at a local municipal office. Someone at your host university will assist you. Foreign residents 16 years of age or over are required by law to carry their Resident Card on their person at all times. See the "Resident Management System" flyer for detailed information on Resident Cards.

airplanePointerProof of Legal Entry & Stay

Foreigners are required to provide proof of legal entry and stay to authorities upon request. This means that as a foreigner, you will be required to carry the document/s listed below at all times. Check the Entry/Exit Requirements section of the U.S. State Department's Country-specific Information for your destination for details.

Japan - you are required to carry your passport on you at all times UNTIL you receive your Resident Card. Once you have this card, you are required to carry it (and not the passport) at all times.


Health Insurance

See our new "Insurance" page for details.

Emergency Contacts

In a life and death emergency ABROAD

U.S. Department of State Citizen Emergency Center (1-202-647-5225) will relay messages to the foreign Embassy. Embassy personnel may try to locate your student, pass on urgent messages and, consistent with the Privacy Act, report back.

To reach your student directly

If your student is staying in a hotel, use the hotel contact information listed on the web page for your student's program. The Office of International Education cannot give out private residence or homestay phone numbers unless authorized in advance by the student, but we will contact your student for you in an emergency.

To reach someone at UW Oshkosh during office hours (7:45 am - 4:30 pm M-F)

Office of International Education Phone: 1 (920) 424-0775
Jenna Graff: Director, Office of International Education -
Kelsey McDaniels, Study Abroad Advisor -
Mary Reinke: Program Manager -
Office of International Education Fax: 1 (920) 424-0185
Office of the Associate Vice Chancellor Phone: 1 (920) 424-1410
Office of the Provost & Vice Chancellor Phone: 1 (920) 424-0300

To reach someone at UW Oshkosh outside of normal office hours

University Police: 1 (920) 424-1216

To reach an on-site local contact, IN AN EMERGENCY ONLY.

International Exchange Office - Seijo University
6-1-20 Seijo, Setagaya-ku
Tokyo, 157-85, Japan
Phone: 011-81-03-3482-6020
Fax: 011-81-03-3482-6360


To help you prepare for your travel experience away, we'll begin with an orientation through which we'll share information on topics such as course registration & enrollment, flights, itineraries, housing, meals, emergency contacts, financial planning, program withdrawal, health & personal security, and travel.

Your orientation consists of:

  • required reading materials
  • required on-line presentation
  • orientation quiz submitted to the OIE
  • optional in-person Q&A
  • in-person orientation with program leaders or department advcoates (These may be required or optional, or may not be offered for your particular program; check your program web guide and/or with your program leader for more information.)

The orientation deadline for fall interim & spring semester programs is the 2nd Friday in November. The on-line orientation deadline for spring interim, summer and fall semester programs is the 1st Friday in April.

  • Participants who do not complete the orientation requirements prior to the orientation deadline will be removed from their programs. The withdrawal & refund policy will apply.
  • Share the this orientation with parents, spouses, and/or other family members who may also want to review the orientation. The orientation is open to anyone who would like to participate.


airplanebulletpointIn Person Q & A - OPTIONAL

The date below is what you will enter in the "Orientation" section of your online application!

Following completion of the on-line orientation, participants are invited to attend an OPTIONAL, in-person Q & A session on:

  • Fall Interim & Spring Semester programs: Sat, 11/10/18, 9:00am-1:00pm, Location TBA
  • Spring Interim, Summer and Fall Semester programs: Saturday, 4/6/19, 9:00am-1:00pm, location TBA

Family member attendance at the Q & A session is invited and encouraged. Family members who plan to attend the Q & A session should understand that this will not replace the orientation outlined above. Family members should review the full orientation prior to attending in person.

airplanebulletpointReading Materials - REQUIRED

Before beginning your on-line orientation, review the materials listed below; you will refer to these materials during the on-line orientation. Share these materials with interested family members.

airplanebulletpointOn-line Orientation - REQUIRED

Schedule approximately 90 minutes to focus on your on-line orientation.

To access the on-line orientation

  • Open the study away orientation in PowerPoint.
  • Click on the "Slide Show" tab along the top menu.
  • Click on the "Custom Slide Show" menu item.
  • Choose your program.

airplanebulletOrientation Quiz - REQUIRED

Complete your orientation requirement by submitting this orientation quiz to the Office of International Education by the orientation deadline.

airplanebulletPre-depature meeting: REQUIRED

All participants are required to attend a pre-departure meeting with the Study Away Coordinator. This orientation covers topics not already covered in the on-line orientation and focuses on topics about which participants will have questions and will need clarification.

Participants who do not complete in-person program-specific orientation will be removed from their programs. The withdrawal & refund policy will apply.

The date and time of this meeting will be coordinated with all accepted students and take place in Dempsey 202.


This page was last updated on: May 16, 2018