Welcome to the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Brass Department Website
We Lead by Example
At UWO, you will find a brass faculty comprised of internationally recognized performers and researchers who are well-recorded and published. The brass faculty at UWO lead the New North in performance by holding principal positions in area orchestras, leading jazz ensembles in explosively entertaining concerts, and innovating solo performance with new electro-acoustic technologies.
The brass faculty at UWO are all full-time professors of music and thus have dedicated themselves to pedagogy, aiming to assist the student find his or her unique professional position in the music community. Simply, this means that the brass faculty are around and available for the student, encouraging an intimate environment of mentoring where instruction can take place more than just once a week in lessons.
Opportunity to Succeed
Want to become the best brass performer, teacher, or researcher you can be? The small class sizes and personal attention available at UWO will give you that opportunity. Students have the opportunity to perform in large ensembles (orchestra, wind ensemble, concert band, and jazz band), participate in vibrant chamber music settings, concertize soloistically, and receive much personal attention in their rehearsals.
UWO is Connected
The brass faculty at UWO performs or has performed with the following local professional ensembles. Accessibility to these regularly performing local ensembles offers invaluable learning experiences for UWO students. Get connected! Apply now.
Recent Guest Artists
- American Brass Quintet (coming April 1 & 2, 2014)
- The Big Payback (coming November 16-17, 2013)
- The Wild Trio: Charles Tibbetts, horn; Mike Forbes, tuba; Vincent Fuh, piano (coming November 7, 2013)
- Alan Carr, bass trombone (coming fall 2013)
- Bell(e) Collective: Sarah Paradis, trombone; Stephanie Frye, trombone (2013)
- Richard Todd, horn (2013)
- Bernhard Scully, horn (2013)
- Mike Underwood, trombone (2012)
- Marty Erickson, tuba (2012)
- Greta Richard, horn (2012)
- Dean Sorenson, trombone (2012)
- Isthmus Brass and Isthmus Brass Brass Quintet (2011)
- John Daniel, trumpet (2011)
- Lawrence University Faculty Brass Quintet (2011)