All incoming UW Oshkosh students who wish to become music majors or music minors MUST AUDITION for acceptance to the department (an audition is not required for the Music Industry minor). The audition will consist of an applied audition, as well as a music theory and aural skills diagnostic exam. Additionally, applicants will be required to complete a keyboard placement questionnaire prior to their audition.
The student is responsible for choosing music that would satisfy the requirements of the appropriate area or studio listed below. It is strongly recommended that the student seek the advice of his/her school music director and/or private instructor when preparing for the audition. Please contact the UW Oshkosh Department of Music for further assistance if needed.
All auditions will include sight reading. Vocal and keyboard auditions MUST be performed from memory. Performance from memory in other areas is recommended but not required.
* BRASS (Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba)
1. Solo from WSMA* Class A list or two etudes or studies in contrasting styles.
2. Sight reading.
* CLASSICAL GUITAR
1. Two prepared pieces in contrasting styles. They may be solos, movements from larger works, or etudes. The difficulty level should compare to solos on the WSMA* Class A list of guitar solos.
2. Major and minor scales -- 3 octaves
1. Two memorized pieces in contrasting styles
2. Major and minor scales, arpeggios, and broken chords
3. Harmonization of a melody. Chords will be given.
1. WSMA* Class A rudimental or concert style snare drum solo
2. WSMA Class A or equivalent keyboard solo (mallet instrument)
3. WSMA Class A or equivalent timpani or multiple percussion solo
4. Major scales -- 2 octaves
* STRINGS (Violin, Viola, Cello, String Bass)
1. Two short and challenging solos in contrasting styles
2. Scales -- C, Bb, A, Ab, G, F, E, Eb, and D Major -- 2 octaves
1. The student should sing two memorized contrasting classical art songs (one may be in a foreign language). Solos may be taken from the WSMA* Solo/Ensemble List or equivalent.
2. The student will be vocalized by the instructor to determine characteristics such as range, vocal timbre, flexibility, vowel purity and breath management.
3. All voice auditions MUST be accompanied. PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR ACCOMPANIST INFORMATION.
* WOODWINDS (Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone, Oboe, Bassoon)
1. Two solos, movements, or etudes in contrasting styles
2. Scales -- C, Bb, A, Ab, G, F, E, Eb, and D Major - practical range
3. Chromatic scale - practical range
* Wisconsin State Music Association Solo/Ensemble List or equivalent. Students should work with their classroom music teachers to view the list.
This exam is required for all auditioning students and will cover the topics and skills listed below. The music theory and aural perception portions of the exam will be completed in the Department of Music Computer Lab. The rhythm and pitch vocalization portion of the exam will be administered during a brief, individual meeting with a member of the faculty. Exam results will be considered in admissions and music theory course placement decisions. The exam is intended to take 30-45 minutes.
Music Theory Section
1. Identify the letter name of pitches notated in treble clef and bass clef
2. Demonstrate knowledge of rhythm note and rest values (including dots and ties)
3. Demonstrate knowledge of time signatures including 4/4, 3/4, 2/4, 6/8, common time, and cut time
4. Identify all major and minor key signatures
5. Identify major, natural minor, harmonic minor, and melodic minor scales
6. Identify and notate musical intervals
7. Identify and notate major, minor, diminished, and augmented triads
Aural Skills Section: Aural Perception
1. Dictate short rhythms in the following time signatures: 3/4, 4/4, or 6/8 (i.e. listen to the rhythm and notate what you hear)
2. Dictate short melodies (major or minor keys)
Aural Skills Section: Rhythm and Pitch Vocalization
1. Vocally match pitches played on the piano
2. Sight sing short rhythms in 4/4, 3/4, and/or 6/8 including rests, dots, and ties
3. Sight sing short melodies in major and minor keys
Click here to view a sample Music Theory and Aural Skills exam.
Click here to view the answer key.
We recommend that auditioning students utilize the following websites in preparation for our Music Theory and Aural Skills Diagnostic Exam:
Incoming transfer students are not required to take the diagnostic exam if they have earned college course credit with a grade of C or higher for any music theory and aural skills courses at the freshman level that are intended for music majors/minors. Transfer students should indicate any music theory and aural skills courses for which credit was earned on their audition application form.
Applicants will be required to fill out a keyboard questionnaire prior to their audition. Applicants without a keyboard background will be placed into beginning class piano.
Applicants with previous keyboard experience will be placed into the appropriate course according to the results of the questionnaire.
A placement exam may be required for those with significant keyboard experience. This placement exam will be given at the beginning of the semester and will include sight reading and an assessment of fundamental keyboard skills.
For UW Oshkosh admission to the University, contact the Office of Admissions at (920) 424-0202 or email@example.com.
For non-music scholarships available at UW Oshkosh see the Financial Aid Office homepage or call (920) 424-3377.