Audition Guidelines By Area
1. Solo from WSMA* Class A list or two etudes or studies in contrasting styles.
2. Scales and arpeggios -- Bb, A, Ab, G, and F major -- 2 octaves
3. Instructor will lead the student through various exercises or drills to complete the audition.
1. Two prepared pieces in contrasting styles. They may be solos, movements from larger works or etudes. The difficulty level should compare to solos on the WSMA* Class A list of guitar solos.
2. Major and minor scales -- 3 octaves
1. Two pieces in contrasting styles
2. Major and minor scales, arpeggios and broken chords
3. Harmonization of a melody. Chords will be given.
1. WSMA* Class A rudimental or concert style snare drum solo
2. WSMA Class A or equivalent keyboard solo (mallet instrument)
3. WSMA Class A or equivalent timpani or multiple percussion solo
4. Major scales -- 2 octaves
1. Two short and challenging solos in contrasting styles
2. Scales -- C, Bb, A, Ab, G, F, E, Eb, and D Major -- 2 octaves
1. Two prepared pieces in contrasting styles. They may be solos, movements from larger works or etudes. The difficulty level should compare to solos on the WSMA* Class A list of trumpet solos.
2. Major scales: a) Two octaves: C, Bb, A, Ab, G ; b) One octave: F, E, Eb, D
3. Chromatic scale -- low F# to high C, ascending and descending
1. The student should sing two memorized contrasting classical art songs (one may be in a foreign language). Solos may be taken from the WSMA* Solo/Ensemble List or equivalent.
2. The student will be vocalized by the instructor to determine characteristics such as range, vocal timbre, flexibility, vowel purity and breath management. PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR ACCOMPANIST INFORMATION.
1. Two solos, movements or etudes in contrasting styles.
2. Scales -- C, Bb, A, Ab, G, F, E, Eb, and D Major - practical range
3. Chromatic scale - practical range
* Wisconsin State Music Association Solo/Ensemble List or equivalent. You may find the WSMA list here.
** PERFORMANCE BY MEMORY IS REQUIRED FOR KEYBOARD.
For UW Oshkosh university admission contact the Office of Admissions, Dempsey Hall, 920-424-0202. http://www.uwosh.edu/admissions
For more scholarships available at UW Oshkosh see the Financial Aid Office homepage or phone the office at (920) 424-3377