GO! (Gals Only!) Fire Science Camp
GO! (Gals Only) Fire Science Camp
The 2013 GO! camp has been cancelled. Join us in 2014!
For more information on upcoming camps, fill out our request form.
Participants are set up into teams throughout the camp experience. Teams consist of engine companies, battalions, ladder companies and rescue units. All activities are taught by professional firefighters, and campers will have abundant opportunities to network and connect with fire and Emergency Medical Service (EMS) professionals throughout the experience.
This camp includes:
- Basic water rescue
- Career planning and preparation
- Field activities, such as how to handle ladders, hoses, fire extinguishers, self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) and personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Introduction to the fire service and emergency medical service, with hands-on basic activities
- Meals and networking opportunities with fire department personnel
- Mentorship and hands-on activities provided by professional female firefighters
- Opportunities for teamwork, problem-solving and leadership development
- Participation in a team challenge program
- Tours of local departments and fire-related manufacturing companies
Through a combination of instruction and hands-on application, campers will participate in a variety of activities that present a realistic view of fire service careers; be challenged with problem-solving, team-building and leadership development activities; experience college life; and get career and résumé planning assistance.
Meals and Lodging:
University Food Service and local fire department personnel will provide all twelve meals. Camp participants stay in supervised, double-occupancy, air-conditioned residence hall rooms on the UW Oshkosh campus. If participants indicate their roommate choice on the registration form, we will make every effort to comply with your request. Qualified camp staff and trained chaperones will provide supervision for all participants.
$250 includes residence hall room, recreational and social activities, daily instruction, materials, special camp events, camp T-shirt, chaperone supervision, camp insurance, transportation costs associated with field experiences and 12 meals.
A limited number of partial scholarships may be available. Please download and fill out the scholarship application. If you have questions, contact the Office of Continuing Education and Extension.
Cindy Brun, Division of Lifelong Learning and Community Engagement, UW Oshkosh
Questions concerning registration and program content should be directed to the Division of Lifelong Learning and Community Engagement at (920) 424-1129 or toll-free at (800) 633-1442.
View the 2009 GO! (Gals Only) Fire Science Camp video.