Basic Fire Science Camp
Basic Fire Science Camp
Join us June 16–19, 2013
Young men and women ages 15-20 with any level of experience are invited to participate in this unique summer camp!
Participants are set up into teams throughout the camp experience. Teams consist of engine companies, battalions, ladder companies and rescue units. All activities are taught by professional firefighters, and campers will have abundant opportunities to network and connect with fire and Emergency Medical Service (EMS) professionals throughout the experience.
The camp includes:
- Introduction to wetland firefighting
- Basic water rescue
- Career planning and preparation
- Field activities, such as how to handle ladders, hoses, fire extinguishers, self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) and personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Introduction to the fire service and emergency medical service, with hands-on basic activities
- Meals and networking opportunities with fire department personnel
- Mentorship and hands-on activities provided by professional female firefighters
- Opportunities for teamwork, problem-solving and leadership development
- Participation in a team challenge program
- Tours of local departments and fire-related manufacturing companies
Participants will gain knowledge about careers in fire and emergency response services; develop leadership, problem-solving and team-building skills; and become better prepared in emergency management.
Meals and Lodging:
University Food Service and local fire department personnel will provide all twelve meals. Camp participants stay in supervised, double-occupancy, air-conditioned residence hall rooms on the UW Oshkosh campus. If participants indicate their roommate choice on the registration form, we will make every effort to comply with your request. Qualified camp staff and trained chaperones will provide supervision for all participants.
$350 includes residence hall room, recreational and social activities, daily instruction, materials, special camp events, camp T-shirt, chaperone supervision, camp insurance, transportation costs associated with field experiences and meals.
A $50 deposit must accompany registration to hold a place. The balance is due by June 1, 2013, or the registration slot may be released.
This interactive camp is help on the UW Oshkosh campus with off-campus field experiences at the Appleton Fire Department, Neenah / Menasha Fire Department, Fox Valley Technical College Regional Fire Training Center and Oshkosh Fire Department.
A limited number of partial scholarships may be available. Please download and fill out the scholarship application. If you have questions, contact the Office of Continuing Education and Extension.
The registration deadline for all camps is June 1, 2013. After this date please call the Division of Lifelong Learning and Community Engagement at (920) 424-1129 or toll-free at (800) 633-1442 to determine program
Cindy Brun, Division of Lifelong Learning and Community Engagement, UW Oshkosh
Questions concerning registration and program content should be directed to the Division of Lifelong Learning and Community Engagement at (920) 424-1129 or toll-free at (800) 633-1442.
Video and Photo Gallery:
View the 2009 Basic Fire Science Camp Video: