Basic Fire Science Camp
The Basic Fire Science Camp is currently undergoing a program restructuring. Upcoming program dates are not currently available. Please check back soon, or contact the Division of Lifelong Learning and Community Engagement for more information. Call (800) 633-1442 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Young men and women ages 15–20 with any level of experience are invited to participate in this unique summer camp!
Participants are set up into teams throughout the camp experience. Teams consist of engine companies, battalions, ladder companies and rescue units. All activities are taught by professional firefighters, and campers will have abundant opportunities to network and connect with fire and Emergency Medical Service (EMS) professionals throughout the experience.
The camp includes:
- Basic water rescue
- Career planning and preparation
- Field activities, such as how to handle ladders, hoses, fire extinguishers,
- self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) and personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Introduction to the fire service and emergency medical service, with
- hands-on basic activities
- Meals and networking opportunities with fire department personnel
- Mentorship and hands-on activities provided by professional firefighters
- Opportunities for teamwork, problem-solving and leadership development
- Participation in a team challenge program
- Introduction to wildland firefighting
- Tours of local fire departments and fire-related manufacturing companies
Participants will gain knowledge about careers in fire and emergency response services; develop leadership, problem-solving and team-building skills; and become better prepared in emergency management.