Universal Borrowing (UB) Instructions
Use Universal Borrowing (UB) to borrow items that we don't own at Polk Library or those that are currently checked out. Don't forget to check My Account often after making a request to track its status.
Please see our video tutorial on requesting materials through Universal Borrowing or follow the instructions below:
Locating your Item
- From the Polk Library home page, click on the Books & Videos search tab and click the Borrowing from other libraries link. Click on the Universal Borrowing link.
- Click Check All to search all available libraries and click Select.
- After connecting to the catalogs, locate the record of the item you wish to borrow.
- The next screen will list the library catalogs you are searching. When each catalog has completed its search it will take you to a list of results.
Requesting your Item
- After locating an item you wish to borrow, click on its title to view its record.
- Pay special attention to the format when searching for media items or print materials that have been published in multiple formats. Electronic Books or e-books (often listed as electronic resources) are not able to be requested through Universal Borrowing.
- Click Get This Item from the blue box on the right side of the screen.
- Log in in to your account with the 16-digit number from your TitanCard and your last name.
- Choose UB: Get item from another UW library.
- The UB request form will appear on your screen if your chosen item is able to be borrowed through UB.
- If you get this message: "There are no circulating items available to satisfy your UB Borrowing Request", choose another item as the one you've selected cannot be borrowed.
- The library and copy information should be entered in automatically. To change your selection, use the drop down lists.
- Items that have multiple parts, such as videos, must have each part requested separately.
- Specify at which UW library you wish to pick the item up. (default is Polk Library)
- Enter your 16-digit TitanCard number.
- Click Submit.
- A screen should appear stating that the request has been successful. Contact us for help if it was unsuccessful - email email@example.com or call 424-7316.
- Click My Account from the toolbar at the top of screen to view your request.
Checking your Requests
To track the status of your request . . .
- Log on to My Account
- Enter your 16-digit TitanCard number and your last name.
- Locate the section entitled Request Information.
- Materials generally arrive within 2 to 5 business days.
- Materials will be held for pick up at the Circulation Desk for 10 days.
- Check My Account frequently to determine the status of your request.
- Accepted/Printed means that the library is working on processing your request.
- In transit means your requested item is on its way to your designated pickup location.
- Available means your requested item is ready to be picked up. A notice will also be e-mailed to your UW Oshkosh email address after your materials arrive.
- Requests can be cancelled by clicking the box at the left of the record and clicking Cancel.