The circulation status of most library materials will appear in the online catalog as "not checked out" or "checked out." If an item that you'd like to use is currently checked out, you may still be able to get that item. By clicking Get This Item in the blue box on the right side of the screen when looking at an individual library item record, you may have one or more options available to you.
- Universal Borrowing (UB)
- This is generally the fastest way to get a different copy of the needed item. You can request it from another UW-System library and have it waiting for you at the Circulation Desk ready to be checked out in 2-5 days. You can also use this option if you'd like one of our items sent to another UW System library for you to pick up there. Just make sure you designate a pickup location other than Polk Library.
- Request that an item currently checked out of Polk Library be held for you at the Circulation Desk when it is returned.
- Request that an item currently checked out of Polk Library be returned for your use. (Users are allowed to keep items for a minimum amount of time before an item can be recalled.) A recall changes the due date of the item, and it must be returned. A library block is placed if a recalled item is not returned.
- Retrieve Polk item from shelf & email me
- If you'd like us to retrieve your items for you, use this option. We'll send you an email when they're ready to be picked up at the Circulation Desk. Retrieval time depends on staff availability.
You will be notified by email when the item is available to be picked up at the Circulation Desk. It will be held for you for ten (10) days.