Kinesiology Admission Portfolio
The following is a list of requirements for the Admission Portfolio for the Exercise & Fitness Emphasis and the Strength & Conditioning Emphasis.
- Click Here for some tips to put your portfolio online
The Admission Portfolio must include the following:
The first page of the portfolio gives some descriptive background information about the student. It can be called the "Introduction" page, and it must include the following information:
- Your name
- The emphasis for which you are applying
- The courses you are using to apply
- Next semester's class schedule
- Your student ID
- UW oshkosh email address
- A picture (optional)
The Introduction page can be formatted as desired, but all required above information must be present.
A formal cover letter, addressed to the Kinesiology Admission Committee, stating which Kinesiology Emphasis you are applying for (Exercise & Fitness or Strength & Conditioning). Other information in the letter can include why you desire to be admitted into the Kinesiology major. The letter should also include your qualifications, your academic objectives, and any additional information that you feel will help the Admission Committee evaluate your portfolio. Your letter must not exceed one page in length.
A formal resume including the following sections (if appropriate):
any appropriate Honors and/or Activities
and a listing of two possible references.
*You may include any other resume sections you think contribute to your document.
A copy of your current STAR Report with the following information highlighted:
Overall GPA and
Grades in the classes listed below (highlight these values in the KINESIOLOGY section only):
- Biological Concepts - Unity (26-105)
- Human Anatomy (26-211)
- Orientation to Kinesiology (77-121)
- Kinesiology Admissions Seminar (77-122)
- Medical Terminology (77-170)
- Prevention, Recognition & Treatment of Athletic Injuries (77-171)
(or the appropriate substitute course)
- Highlight the other two courses you are using to apply in the
- Admittance Paper. Include the following:
- Your knowledge of the Kinesiology Field. For example you may want to choose one career option in the field of Kinesiology and describe the knowledge, skills and abilities required for that position.
- Your experiences in the Kinesiology field. For example you may choose to include specific information regarding coursework, jobs, volunteer opportunities, and/or direct participation in the field. How have you benefited from these experiences? Did any experiences influence your thinking, understanding, and/or appreciation of the Kinesiology field?
- Your expectations of your chosen emphasis. For example you may want to include what you hope to accomplish, and the knowledge, skills, & abilities you hope to acquire or improve following completion of the Kinesiology major.
- The value and benefits of life-long learning. Provide concrete examples of your dedication to being a life-long learner.
- Career goals. Identify how the Kinesiology major will contribute to your career choice.
- In addition, your paper should reflect your personality, feelings, aspirations, and enthusiasm toward Kinesiology.
The paper may not exceed two pages in length. Grammar, spelling and organization will be strongly considered when the admissions committee evaluates the paper.
Students who wish to be considered for admittance must email access to their completed Admittance Portfolio to the Admission Committee members by 3:00 p.m. on the Friday following the last day of classes (of the 14-week semester). The admission committee consists of Mr. Biwer, Dr. Mrotek, Dr. Schmidt and Mr. Williams.
Please address your cover letter to:
Kinesiology Admission Committee
Department of Kinesiology
800 Algoma Boulevard
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, WI 54901