Residence Hall Director - 415a.1415
- Maintain personal contact with residents through daily social interaction, maintenance of office hours and attendance at hall meetings and functions.
- Serve as a role model, resource person and support agent for students and staff.
- Encourage the active participation of residents in hall governance.
- Facilitate the development of hall programs and activities based on the departmental Community Living Model.
- Maintain a secure and satisfying physical environment.
- Communicate, clarify and enforce university, departmental and hall policies.
- Encourage students to assume responsibility for decisions affecting their community.
- Participate in the management of student behavior problems in the halls by responding to incidents, meeting with students and pursuing appropriate administrative and judicial action.
- Recruit and select Community Advisors (CAs) and Senior CAs.
- Plan and implement ongoing training for CA/Sr. CA Staff.
- Conduct weekly staff meetings and provide ongoing staff development sessions that serve critical needs for training and promote opportunities for personal growth and development.
- Oversee the recruitment, selection, training and supervision of desk workers, Area Secretary, Security Staff and other in-hall employees.
- Coordinate residence hall openings and closings.
- Meet individually on a regular basis with staff to discuss community issues and concerns as well as monitor progress of the staff member.
- Conduct performance evaluations of staff members each semester.
- Advise and support the Hall Council and its Executive Board.
- Attend weekly hall government meetings and executive board meetings.
- Support and attend events and activities planned and implemented by the Hall Council.
- Submit administrative reports and forms within set deadlines.
- Maintain regular communications with Residence Life Central Office (contract and assignments, payroll, purchasing, etc.), Dean of Students Office, University Police, Counseling Center, Custodial Services and the Maintenance Office.
- Assume campus weekend duty coverage on an equal and rotating basis with other RHDs.
- Maintain accurate occupancy reports and room change paperwork. Submit weekly reports. Maintain accurate rosters within the hall.
- Monitor and administer the Common Area Damage (CAD).
- Assist staff in administering the EBI Survey and MAP-Works in an efficient and timely manner.
- Oversee Security Station operations.
- Participate in orientation, training, professional development sessions and staff meetings as required.
- Assist in policy formulation and review for the hall and department.
- Perform duties on one of the following special assignment teams: Training and Development, Selection, Leadership and Advising, Community Living or Student Conduct.
- Serve as a member and/or chairperson of an Oshkosh Placement Exchange committee.
This is a live-in position; Residence Hall Directors are required to live in an on-campus apartment within their assigned residence hall. This position requires night and weekend commitments, including Labor Day weekend.
- Master's degree in related field.
- Demonstrated supervision skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and experience managing people including comfort with diverse people and beliefs.
- Previous residence hall experience.
- Commitment to the growth and development of students.
- Strong writing skills.
- Prior problem solving and conflict resolution experience.
- Demonstrated ability in advising student groups.
- Ability to develop and nurture a positive community living environment within residence halls.
- Demonstrated administrative skills.
- Knowledge of facilities and building management.
- Knowledge of judicial/student conduct processes.
To be determined
Terms of Appointment
Review of files will begin 08/05/2014, and continue until position is filled.
How to Apply
Submit a letter of application, resume, transcripts (official or photocopy), and contact information for five references to:
Abby Sylvia - Assistant Director of Residence Life
Department of Residence Life