Head Start Family Resource Specialist - 003c.1314
This position is required to implement the procedures and activities for families and communities as detailed in the Head Start program performance standards, with particular attention to meeting the standards for eligibility, recruitment, selection, enrollment and attendance, CFR 1305.3-1305.9; family partnerships, CFR 1304.40a-1304.41, 1304.21, 1306.32b8, 1306.33a1; community partnerships, CFR 1304.40h, 1304.41, 1304.51b; and health, CFR 1304.20, 1304.22, 1304.23.
- Implement, facilitate, and document a program for parent and family communication, participation, education and social support.
- Actively recruit prospective families in order to maintain a full enrollment and a current waiting list by performing recruitment and enrollment tasks as directed by the ERSEA Manage.
- Provide educational materials to parents about health, nutrition, and safety for their child.
- Engage in a process of collaborative partnership building with parents to identify family goals, strengths and necessary services and other supports by completing a Family Needs Assessment with the family.
- Offer parents opportunities to develop and implement Individualized Family Partnership Agreements that describe family goals, responsibilities, timetables, and strategies for achieving them as well as progress in achieving them.
- Work collaboratively with families to refer families to services and resources needed, including: emergency/crisis assistance, accessing ongoing health care, education, counseling, employment training, and other services.
- Provide, at a minimum, monthly follow-up with families to ensure appropriate intervention and delivery of services.
- Serve as the primary planner (while working collaboratively with the center's parents and staff) for the center's/area's monthly Family Fun Night to provide opportunities for parents to learn and grow.
- Meet monthly with teaching staff to discus child behaviors and development and exchange information pertinent to families and and children assessments and intervention plans.
- Assist families to become their child's advocate as they transition in or out of Head Start.
- Assist parents to communicate with teachers and other personnel so they can participate in decisions related to their child's education.
- Develop relationships with community partners, promoting advocacy, resource development and access to resources by families and staff.
- Establish ongoing collaborative relationships with community organizations to promote access to the following: health care, mental health, nutritional services providers, services to children with disabilities and their families, family preservation and support services, child protective services, local elementary schools, libraries and museums, and providers of child care and any other potential resource.
- Follow up with assigned Head Start parents on issues related to attendance of their Head Start Child.
- Assist families in the completion of their child's medical and dental appointments and any needed follow-up.
- Work cooperatively with all, but specifically Health & ERSEA, staff to ensure program goals are met.
Minimum of BS in Social Work, Human Services or related field.
- Experience and knowledge of UW Oshkosh Head Start, Family Service Credential, and general Head Start experience.
- Experience using Child Plus data system.
Terms of Appointment
Review of files will begin 07/07/2014, and continue until position is filled.
How to Apply
Submit a letter of application, resume, three current letters of recommendation, transcripts (official or photocopy), and contact information for one personal reference to:
Director of Family & Community Partnerships