International Studies Program
Students / Alumni
International Studies major:
The International Studies major is composed of 36 credits, distributed as follows:
- Required Courses
- 59-205 Contemporary International Studies (taken usually during freshman or sophomore years)
- 59-402 International Studies Seminar (taken at the last Spring semester before graduation)
- Individual Specialization (Emphasis) – 15 upper-level credits (5 courses) within your chosen emphasis:
- Elective courses – As many upper-level courses as needed to complete 36 credit requirement for the major
- Chosen from any upper-level courses in List 2.
- Introductory Courses - A Maximum of 9 Credits of Introductory Courses can be counted towards the major. Introduction courses can be chosen from 100-200 level courses in List 2, or from the list found here.
These courses can be used to complete prerequisites for Upper Division Courses the student may need to take later.
- Disciplinary distribution - International Studies Majors are required to take upper level courses from at least four different participating disciplines (in List 2) within their major. This distribution assures the interdisciplinary nature of
These courses may be part of your Emphasis or your elective courses.
- Foreign Language – All International Studies Majors are required to complete at least two years of university level study or its equivalent in one foreign language. This requires 14 credits. Students arriving at UW Oshkosh with previous language study may test into the appropriate language level, or even test out of the two-year language requirement, pending approval from the Foreign Languages Department.
International Studies emphases:
Students majoring in International Studies can choose from several emphases, depending on their college and career goals. An emphasis is the direction in which you wish to focus the concentration of classes. Students design their degree, by tailoring their particular specializaton with classes that suits future career goals.
To complete any particular emphasis, the student must complete 15 credit units (5 courses) within his/her emphasis choice, to be chosen from Course List 2 (Disciplines) or List 3 (Regional Studies). Currently, students may choose from the following emphases:
- Discipline Emphases (Courses to be chosen from List 2)
- Regional Studies (courses to be chosen from List 3)
- Individually designed major
- Requires Coordinator's approval
- In the past, students have designed emphases such as Int. Studies - International Development.