Human Resources Support and Development Plan
In late 2007, the campuswide Human Resources Support and Development Key Operational Plan Advisory Team recommended Human Resource staff interview approximately 50 people across the campus to obtain their input in prioritizing goals for implementation. The interviewees were administrators, supervisors, academic staff and classified staff, including employees who represented a broad University perspective and all levels across the campus.
Goals for 2008
The consistent recommendations from these interviews resulted in the following short-term goals for 2008:
- Develop “Recruitment 101” training.
- Implement a plan to improve workers’ compensation claims.
- Develop a plan to offer “mediation” as an informal method for resolving disputes.
- Revise the professional/administrative academic staff performance evaluation form.
- Review compensation for faculty and academic staff with a recommendation to the Chancellor’s Administrative Staff group.
Accomplishments for 2008
Accomplishments within these goals during 2008 include the following:
- The offering of two “Recruitment 101” training sessions in May 2008 for faculty and academic staff recruitment.
- A campus “Early Return to Work” policy has been approved by shared governance. It includes a plan to triage the situation when an employee is injured while at work. Operationally, a process has been developed to address employees returning to work with restrictions after a workplace injury or a personal medical situation. In addition, we now require a pre-screening process for positions with strong physical responsibilities (e.g., custodians). These pre-screens will be added for other recruitments (e.g., facilities repair worker and gardener positions).
- Discussions have begun with the provost and vice chancellor, the vice chancellor for administrative services and representatives of the Winnebago County Conflict Resolution Center to offer mediation as an informal method for resolving disputes.
- Working with a subgroup of the Senate of Academic Staff, an improved performance evaluation form for professional/administrative academic staff was developed and revised with the assistance of academic staff and supervisors. It currently is being used for the performance evaluation process in January/February 2009.
- Research was completed, contributing toward the increased dollar amount for faculty promotions. Research is continuing regarding salary equity for professional/administrative academic staff.
Goals for 2009-2010
The recommendations from these interviews resulted in the following long-term goals for 2009-2010:
- Revise and improve the recruitment policy for faculty, academic staff and limited appointments.
- Develop a training plan for classified staff supervisors regarding operational issues.
- Develop a plan for classified and academic staff development plans.
- Develop a campuswide staffing plan to include student employment.
- Offer performance-evaluation training for classified staff supervisors.
- Develop a follow-up to the Diversity 2008 Plan as part of the UW System initiative.
- Develop a new-employee orientation plan for all employee groups.
- Develop a plan for department chair training.