The department of history works with a large number of local institutions to provide history majors with hands-on experience.
Requirements for internships:
- Junior or senior status
- GPA 3.0 or above
Each credit hour is earned by working two hours per week during a 14 week semester in the institution. Most students and institutions opt for an arrangement where the student works 6 hours a week to earn 3 credits in a 14 week semester. Special arrangements can be made for work over the summer or during breaks. Up to six credits can be earned through internships,
Students will also be required to write a five page paper summarizing their experience and explain how it benefited their historical understanding.
These experiences are meant to develop historical understanding, not to work as an assistant or secretary.
Spring 2016 Internship Opportunities
The following are current internships. Please click on the link for a description, and contact internship coordinator Professor Michelle Kuhl at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details on how to apply.
National Railroad Museum in Green Bay
Application for the RR Museum internship
Oshkosh Public Library needs two interns for Spring 2016 projects
Institutions where students have worked in the past:
- Oshkosh Public Museum
- Outagamie County Historical Society
- Paine Art Center
- University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Archives
- EAA Museum
- New London Public Museum
- Oshkosh Public Library
This website lists all the Historical Sites/Museums in the State of Wisconsin if you want to try something else.
Other internship work:
- In 2014 a UW Oshkosh history intern helped created some of the local histories for the Oshkosh Public Library's website.
- In the Spring of 2007, history department students, with the help of the UW Oshkosh Archives, have created a series of Historical Home Pages that provide a look at the university in earlier eras.
- History interns collaborated with UW Oshkosh archivist Joshua Ranger to create the satirical website "A Day Without Feminism"
- History interns have written institutional histories for the UW Oshkosh Credit Union and the Oshkosh Chamber of Commerce.
For further information, contact Michelle Kuhl, internship coordinator, at email@example.com, Sage 3626, (920) 424-7442.