The department of history works with a large number of local institutions to provide history majors with hands-on experience. Many students have benefited greatly from learning how historical study is done outside the classroom. If you are interested in pursuing a career working for museums or historical societies, an internship is a great way to experience the practice of history.
Requirements for internships:
- Junior or senior status
- GPA 3.0 or above
Each credit hour is earned by working two hours per week during a 14 week semester in the institution. Special arrangements can be made for work over the summer or during breaks. Up to six credits can be earned through internships,
Students will also be required to write a five page paper summarizing their experience and explain how it benefited their historical understanding.
These experiences are meant to develop historical understanding, not to work as an assistant or secretary.
Summer 2015 Internship Opportunities
- Oshkosh Public Library has an Internship for a Local History Project. Please look over this ad for all the details and see Professor Kuhl if you have questions. Note - The deadline has been extended. Please contact Professor Kuhl at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
- The UWO Archives has an internship for Fall 2015. Please see this ad
- Washington County Historical Society has a paid internship in West Bend. Please see this ad for all the details and contact information.
- New London Public Museum, less than one hour from Oshkosh, has a paid internship working on cataloging Native American collections. Please see this ad for all the details and contact information. New London Public Museum also has an unpaid internship. Please see this ad for details.
- The National Railroad Museum in Green Bay has a summer internship available. Please see this ad for all the details and contact information.
Fall 2015 Internship Opportunities
- Oshkosh Public Library has an Internship for a Local History Project. Please look over this ad for all the details and see Professor Kuhl if you have questions.
Institutions where students have worked in the past:
- Oshkosh Public Museum
- Outagamie County Historical Society
- Paine Art Center
- University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Archives
- EAA Museum
- New London Public Museum
- Oshkosh Public Library
This website lists all the Historical Sites/Museums in the State of Wisconsin if you want to try something else.
Other internship work:
- In the Spring of 2007, history department students, with the help of the UW Oshkosh Archives, have created a series of Historical Home Pages that provide a look at the university in earlier eras.
- History interns collaborated with UW Oshkosh archivist Joshua Ranger to create the satirical website "A Day Without Feminism"
- History interns have written institutional histories for the UW Oshkosh Credit Union and the Oshkosh Chamber of Commerce.
For further information, contact Michelle Kuhl, internship coordinator, at email@example.com, Sage 3626, (920) 424-7442.