Personal tools
Find Us On Facebook

Facebook Banner

Contact Info:
UW Oshkosh
Office of Grants & Faculty Development
800 Algoma Boulevard
Dempsey Hall, Suite 214
Oshkosh, WI  54901-8601
Phone Numbers:
(920) 424-3215 (main phone)
(920) 424-3375 (Kelly Schill)
(920) 424-1315 (Cindy Maas)
(920) 424-1195 (Susan Surendonk)
(920) 424-0848 (Amy Knoll)

Fax: (920) 424-3221
You are here: Home > Grant & Research Support > Responsibilities & Compliance > Animal Care & Use Program & IACUC

Animal Care & Use Program & IACUC

Information about animal subjects in research and the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee.

UW Oshkosh is committed to the humane care and use of animals for educational and research purposes.  The utilization of animals is a privilege and the responsibility involved in the  care and use of animals is a shared act. The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) oversees the use of all vertebrate animal use sponsored by any unit of UW Oshkosh.


The Animal Care and Use Program is accredited by the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC International)  and is managed in accordance with the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, the Animal Welfare Act Regulations, and the PHS Policy

Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) Purview

 All live vertebrate animal use sponsored by any unit of UW Oshkosh MUST be pre-approved by the Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee before such animal use begins.

This includes animal use for:

  • research (defined to include interventional and observational studies),
  • teaching (broadly defined to include K-12 or adult learners, registered UWO students or others),
  • entertainment, and
  • fund-raising 

"Vertebrates" includes:

  • live eggs from birds or reptiles and the embryos therein,
  • cold-blooded creatures like fish and herptiles,
  • mammals EXCEPT for human beings

For determining IACUC jurisdiction, the key criterion is: is UW Oshkosh sponsoring the animal use? It does not matter which UWO unit is the sponsor; it does not matter where the animal "use" occurs; it does not matter who "owns" the animal.

  • For Example, IACUC approval was required for a raptor expert to bring his personal bird to campus for a guest seminar.
  • For example, IACUC approval was required for a student safari to Africa which included an observational study of wildlife.

IACUC jurisdiction does not cover:

  • service animals assisting students, employees, or guests,
  • K9 officers assisting law enforcement,
  • campus wildlife, or
  • people walking or transporting their pets across campus property.

The IACUC pre-approval process aims to ensure the appropriate use of animals and the welfare of animals in use, as well as the safety of the audience/participants. The IACUC's oversight keeps UW Oshkosh in compliance with a federal Animal Welfare Act regualtions and PHS Policy.

Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) Application Process

Prior to beginning a project involving the use of animals, an Animal Use Application must be submitted to the Office of Grants and Faculty Development and approved by the IACUC.  An animal certification and occupational health and training course must also be completed.  For further information about animal welfare and the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), please contact the IACUC Coordinator in the Office of Grants and Faculty Development. 

View upcoming Meeting and Deadline Dates.

For more information about IACUC or the use of animals in research, please contact or (920) 424-3375.

Applying for a Federal Grant Involving Research Animals 

View the guide, How to Write an Application Involving Research Animals. Developed by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), in conjunction with OLAW, the tutorial provides a step-by-step guide to the preparation of an application and covers such topics as considering alternatives, obtaining assurances and IACUC approval, just-in-time processes, NIH review of animal subjects applications, grant awards, IACUC monitoring of awards, and reporting requirements. Although designed specifically for NIAID applicants, the information is relevant to any investigator submitting an application to the NIH for an activity involving animals. For guidance in the development and submission of your grant application, please contact the Office of Grants and Faculty Development. 

Thinking about publishing the research you've conducted with animals? Take a look at Guidance for the Description of Animal Research in Scientific Publications. You can purchase the book or download a free PDF summary.

Reference Resources:

Document Actions
by Reinke, Heidi L last modified Mar 11, 2014 11:10 AM