Other External Funding Opportunities
External funding opportunities for student research.
- CIA Student Work Programs: the undergraduate internship, co-op and graduate studies programs give students a chance to contribute to the work of the nation while earning a competitive income.
- NASA Undergraduate Student Research Program: this paid 10-week summer internship or 15-week fall/spring internship gives engineering, math, computer science and life/physical science students a chance to work at NASA centers under technical mentor supervision.
- National Wildlife Federation’s Campus Ecology Program: students from any discipline can receive up to $2,000 in fellowship money for projects on a variety of sustainability practices that work to reduce their school’s carbon footprint. Funds can pay for direct project expenses and/or living expenses. Contact David Barnhill (email@example.com) for assistance with project ideas, help with the application process and more.
- Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship, Community College Institute, Pre-Service Teacher, Faculty and Student Teams, Science & Energy Research Challenge (SERCh): this paid internship opportunity allows students to participate in world-class research with world-class scientists.
- Sigma Xi: students can receive $100-$2,500 for equipment or research-related travel expenses.
U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Education and Research Funding Opportunities: undergraduate and graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and faculty can receive research funding and participate in research programs.
American Association of Anatomists Research Grants: supports workshops and symposia or funds anatomy-related programs for students and science teachers (maximum support is $3,000).
- Department of
Commerce Internship for Postsecondary Students: undergraduate and graduate
students can receive internships in Washington, D.C., for 15 weeks in spring.
For students in economics, business, political science, computer science and
math. The annual deadline is Nov. 15.
- National Council for Science and Environment has created an environmental internship clearinghouse. It enables university students to search for internships in the environmental field and provides a forum for internship providers to tap into a solid community of quality applicants.