Faculty & Staff Development
How the Office of Grants and Faculty Development can help faculty and academic staff with their professional development.
We provide a comprehensive and holistic approach to faculty and staff development, including your scholarly, research and creative endeavors. By working with you on your specific research and project needs, we can help you create a framework that is aligned with your long-term academic and career vision. With the combined resources of the Grants Office, the Faculty Development Fund and the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, you have a complete suite of opportunities that can be tailored to your specific teaching and learning objectives.
Grants & Research Support
UW Oshkosh is committed to developing our faculty as teacher-scholars. All faculty are encouraged to continue their pursuit of new knowledge in their discipline and contribute to the literature in their field. Both internal and external mechanisms of support are available.
Internal support includes the Research Component of the Faculty Development Fund and the External Grants Expansion program. These programs are detailed in their respective sections below.
Services to support grant-seekers include: identifying potential funding programs; proposal development coaching, liaison with funding agencies and program officers; budget development assistance; and proposal editing, processing and submission. We also support you in management of your grant once it's funded.
For information about research administration and procedures, visit the Grant and Research Support section.
Teaching & Learning Excellence Opportunities
CETL offers many programs, workshops, funding opportunities and connections to System, national and international scholarly teaching endeavors, including:
- One-Session Wonders and Best Practices Certification: Quick and ongoing teaching and learning workshops.
- Mentor Program: Prepares UW Oshkosh scholars to conduct SoTL inquiry.
- The Provost's Teaching and Learning Summit: An annual intensive week of workshops and seminars addressing key teaching and learning priorities.
- SOTL Scholars PIlot Program Grants: Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SOTL) starter grants for faculty to expand their research experience.
Faculty Development Fund
The Faculty Development Fund offers many programs that support teaching and research:
- Small Grants: Available on short notice, small grants of up to $750 are designed to complete or develop a project.
- Teaching Component: Supports substantial teaching improvements for faculty. The focus of the teaching component is on developing course materials and new courses, which may be informed by scholarship of teaching and learning research.
- Faculty College: Apply for funding to host workshops for professional development of faculty and instructional academic staff.
- Off-Campus Component: Apply for available funding for registration fees, travel and housing expenses associated with focused, interactive, off-campus professional learning experiences.
The Faculty Sabbatical Program enables recipients to become more effective teachers and scholars and to enhance their services to the University through intensive study. This privilege is granted to faculty members on the merit of their academic contributions.
Academic Staff Professional Development
NOTICE: Funding through the Academic Staff Component has been suspended at this this time, pending a review of the evaluation criteria.
All programs supported by the Office of Grants and Faculty Development are open to both Faculty and Academic Staff. In addition, the Academic Staff Professional Development program provides support for actively participating in activities that teach skills needed for changing needs and roles and enhancing career goals.