You are here: Home / About Us / FAQs


(click on the "+" to view the answers)

For any additional questions not listed, please contact us at your convenience.


Pre-Admission Questions


Am I allowed to take classes prior to being admitted to graduate school at UW Oshkosh?

Some graduate programs allow students to take classes prior to being admitted. For more information regarding which classes are acceptable (if any), speak to the graduate coordinator of the program(s) in which you are interested.


Who should I speak to if I'm interested in a specific graduate program?

Speak to the graduate coordinator of your intended program.


Where can I find contact information for program coordinators?

Please visit our contact us section for a list of graduate coordinators and our Graduate Studies staff.


Where can I find tuition information?

Please visit the UW Oshkosh Office of Financial Aid website for up-to-date information on tuition.


How many credits can I transfer into my master's degree program?

No more than nine credits may be transferred from other institutions. If students are already in a program, a written request must  be submitted first to the program, then the program will request approval from the Graduate Studies office. For some courses, syllabi or other course materials may need to be presented. Official transcripts must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies from the transfer university indicating the requested transfer credits and grades. Students are also advised to speak with their program coordinator to determine what credits will transfer.


General Questions


Are special students eligible for financial aid, scholarships or grants?

Special students are not eligible for financial aid, scholarships or grants. Students must be admitted to a program to receive financial aid.


What constitutes a full-time graduate student?

Graduate Students are considered full-time if they are enrolled in nine credits for the fall or spring semester or at least five credits in the summer session. If a student has a graduate assistantship, they are considered full-time with six credits during the fall or spring semester and three credits in the summer session.


How do I apply for a graduate assistantship?

To apply for a graduate assistantship, visit our financial aid section for more information and to download an application.


Are special students eligible to apply for graduate assistantships?

Special students are not eligible to apply for graduate assistantships. For eligibility requirements, please visit the financial aid section of our website.


What is Admission to Candidacy?

Candidacy is the point in time while completing a degree program (usually no more than 9 to 21 required credits are completed) that a student finalizes his or her agreed upon plan of study with the program and the Office of Graduate Studies. The Admission to Candidacy form lists all of the course work a student has taken or will take to complete a degree. A student must be in full-standing to be admitted to candidacy. Some programs have other requirements to have candidacy approved.


What housing options are available for graduate students?

Housing information and opportunities can be found on the Residence Life website. Also, refer to the Oshkosh Student Association website for information regarding off-campus living.


How can I obtain an unofficial transcript?

Unofficial transcripts can  be viewed and printed through a student's Titan Web account. Note that credits accepted in transfer are added as comments to the transcript. Transfer course grades are not transcripted, nor will they be included in the computation of the UW Oshkosh semester or cumulative graduate grade point averages. Official transcripts can be ordered through the Registrar's Office.


Where can I find my class syllabus and other course materials?

Course syllabi and materials can be found at Desire2Learn(D2L)


How can I find out if my class has been canceled?

In the event of bad weather, contact your professor to see if your class has been canceled.  In the event that the University is affected by inclement weather or some other reason, the information will be available on the University homepage as well as through the University Weather Line at (920) 424-0000.


Where can I find more information about Titan Web and Titan Apps?

For more information about Titan Web and your University email account, visit Titan Web and Titan Apps.


What is the mailing address for the UW Oshkosh Office of Graduate Studies?

UW Oshkosh Graduate Studies
800 Algoma Blvd., Dempsey Hall, Room 337
Oshkosh, WI 54901


Degree Completion/Graduation Questions


What is the GPA requirement for maintaining good standing in graduate studies?

At least a B average (3.00 of a 4.00 scale) must be earned on all work attempted as a graduate student and also on all work which applies to the master's degree.


How long can I take to complete my master's or doctorate degree?

All academic requirements that apply to a master's degree at UW Oshkosh must be completed within a seven-year time period. The time begins with the beginning date of the term in which the first degree course was taken. The time period ends with the date the final requirement is completed. The College of Nursing a five-year limit for both the master's degree and DNP.


Can I get an extension on the time to finish my degree? If so, what do I do to request an extension?

An extension may be requested by students seeking more time to finish their degree. Students must  fill out a Request for Extension of Time to Degree Completion form, submit it to his or her program coordinator for a recommendation then send the form to the Office of Graduate Studies for evaluation and final approval.


How do I apply for graduation?

Information about and the application for graduation are available online. If you have any questions about applying to graduate, contact your graduate program office or the Office of Graduate Studies.


How soon will I receive my diploma after graduation?

Degree conferral review and posting of a graduate degree to the transcript may take several weeks after the official end of the semester which is the last day of the 17-week term. The diploma will be mailed approximately eight weeks after the official graduation date of the semester.


What can I do if I need verification of my degree but its not yet posted on my transcript?

If all course work has been completed for the degree, contact the Office of Graduate Studies to request a Degree Completion Verification Letter.