Pollock (Alumni) House: A Transition
This Mediterranean Revival-style house was built in 1920 for Oshkosh industrialist William E. Pollock, one of the early leaders of the company that would become OshKosh B’Gosh. In 1943, Pollock donated the house to the Oshkosh State Teachers College. Used as a dormitory from 1945 until 1967, the house was occupied by the administrative offices of the newly formed College of Nursing (CON) from 1967 to1970. When the CON moved into the “new” Nursing/Education building, the Alumni Association began to call Pollock House their home. Thousands of alumni, students, faculty, and visitors have attended functions at this campus landmark. Visitors have included former President Jimmy Carter, former United Nations Ambassador Jean Kirkpatrick, Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Edward Albee, as well as many bats and squirrels. This spring, after 44 years of residency, the Alumni Association will move from Pollock to the newest building on campus, the Alumni Welcome and Conference Center (AWCC).
Two programs designed to support exemplary teaching and learning will now occupy this historic home: the University Studies Program (USP) and the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL). In the last few years as these programs have expanded, the Alumni staff has graciously shared their space. In addition to treasured friendships, an unexpected outcome emerged from this close connection: Alumni Mentors will support community-based learning in Quest III courses beginning in fall 2014.
Alumni staff members will occupy a suite of offices in the new AWCC, retaining their current phone numbers. For information about use of the beautiful AWCC for special occasions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. The Pollock House space may also be used. For more information and a request form, check out this page on the USP website.
For assistance, please use the following contact information: