What the Best College Students Do
In Ken Bain's What the Best College Students Do, the deep learners upon whom he focuses become "interesting people who are aware of the world, difficult to fool, curious, compassionate, critical thinkers, creative, and happy" (2012, p.6). As the CETL Book Club participants converse about this book, we are reminded that as members of the UW Oshkosh campus community we have the privilege of contributing to the deep learning of others and pursuing these kinds of lives ourselves.
Participants selected for STEM Best Practice in Gateway Courses Certification
Congratulations to the following seven members of our teaching community who will spend the next few weeks exploring "best practices" for improving student learning in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) gateway courses:
- Mark Bowen - Geography
- Ed Clemons - Mathematics
- Courtney Kurtz - Biology and Microbiology
- Kathy Lynch - Computer Science
- Maureen Muldoon - Geology
- Eric Matson - Biology and Microbiology
- Yijun Tang - Chemistry
Together, these members of the teaching community will address designing engaging courses, community-building through group work, creating effective homework, and active learning in large classes.
A special thanks goes to the following facilitators:
- Eric Brunsell - Curriculum and Instruction
- Kevin Crawford - Chemistry
- Colleen McDermott - Biology and Microbiology
- Jennifer Mihalick - Chemistry
- Jennifer Schuttlefield-Christus - Chemistry
- Robert Sipes - Kinesiology
- Jennifer Wenner - Geology
- Erin Winterrowd - Psychology
Upcoming One-Session Wonders
Quick and Painless Formative Assessment:
Mon., April 8, 9:10 to 10:10 a.m.
Going Beyond D2L in Hybrid and Online Courses:
Thurs., April 25, 1:20 to 2:20 p.m.
Bells and Whistles: Google/TitanApps:
Mon., April 29, 9:10 to 10:10 a.m.
For the full list of sessions and to register, click here.
Register for all CETL events at: uwosh.edu/cetl
- Inclusive Excellence
- Global Connections
- Undergraduate Student Research
- Essential Learning Outcomes
- Instructional Technology
- First-Year Experience
Questions or Comments?
Contact Eric Brunsell, CETL Coordinator, at email@example.com.